Reply To: Picked up a 4 speed jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Picked up a 4 speed jetfire Reply To: Picked up a 4 speed jetfire

jensenracing77
Participant

I am reverting back to this thread since we are not restoring this car for another year or so.

I took it out for a drive and a little testing tonight. I wanted to see where it boosted at and what the vacuum readings were on it. I pulled the boost gauge and installed an accurate vacuum and pressure gauge. at idle it has a 20 inch vacuum. I did not think it would be that high. When cruising steady at 55 MPH on flat ground it was at 17 inch vacuum. I done two full pulls and both times it went to 8.5 PSI. I assumed that my gauge was off the first time so I did it again and it went to the same place. I got home and tested my vacuum and pressure gauge and is on the nose correct. I then tested my fluid tank cap because I thought it would pop before that but it pops at 9 psi.

I then tested my boost gauge and it is at 20 inch vacuum and 8 psi at each extreme of the needle.

I am fore sure surprised that it boosts this high. I feel sure that this turbo has never been apart or modified. I did this with our automatic car and can’t remember what the figures were. I am going to do that car soon but it does not have the original cam in it so the vacuum readings will likely be different.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum