Reply To: coolant

62cutlassconvert
Participant

Evans claims the temp often “looks” higher because Evans is actually making better contact with no boiling off of some surfaces. Since it pulls more heat off the surfaces it results in a cooler engine. Pure water with “water wetter” may actually cool better but of course has other major disadvantages for a street car.

I had an initial cooling problem and discovered through much advice and experimenting that the timing was too retarded at stock spec. Had my dist rebuilt and recurved for the modern gas and advanced timing out to a now 16 degrees at idle.With the recalibration of the advance curve it does not advance too much at full advance and works better through the range. Runs great, no ping, cools really well. I am running an alum rad, fan shroud, fan clutch.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum