Reply To: Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire Reply To: Restoration of our 62 4 speed Jetfire

jensenracing77
Participant

Thanks guys. I went out this morning to my parts cars and give it another try. One of the parts cars had a bad one so I tried to take that one of first. I got much rougher with it and was able to figure out how to do it. I am use to the ones on the 70-72 cars and those are much more delicate. I took one good one of each side off from my parts cars and then went to the Jetfire and got them off also without hurting them.

The original fuel door was rusted in the seam like most are so I found a rust free one from Nevada. It had both screws broken off so I disassembled the hinge area and replaced that plate with the one from my car. These are difficult to completely coat inside the seams and inside all the hidden areas and I have seen some fuel door hinges on restored cars have rust on them. I decided to zinc phosphate these parts before I put it together. This way it will at least have some protection inside the seams and also coat the entire thing well. This phosphate make a great primer also. I also drilled the Jetfire trim holes in it, Just wish I remembered to do that before I phosphated it.

I have found that phosphating is very simple to do so I am not sending my parts off to have that done any more. I will still have to send my parts in that are zinc plated, I don’t want to get into that.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum