Reply To: Slapping,Flapping, New Convertible Top

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Slapping,Flapping, New Convertible Top Reply To: Slapping,Flapping, New Convertible Top

JimNoel
Participant

Yes, there are circumstances where a convertible top will make strange noises while driving and the top is up.
I have found that if the back window is closed (zipped up) and air is allowed to enter the inside of the car, either through the pull cable vents or the heater controls, and pressure builds up inside the car. This internal pressure increases with speed and pushes up on the top fabric. This pushing will stretch the top material and cause slack in the top material and it will flap or make noise as it flexes up and down against the top bows. This flapping is even more common and audible with the drivers window down. The pressure in the car has no where to go and pushes the top fabric up. The air flowing over the top on the outside tends to push the fabric back down and thus the flapping occurs. This flapping is usually not noticed if the back window is open (zipped down) allowing the pressure inside the car to escape and not build up.
I drive my convertible with the top down about 98% of the time so I have not experienced the problem often but I do remember it.
Hope this helps you.
Jim

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum