I started on this tank a year ago. The original tank was not undercoated and was really rough. It even sprung a little leak at the seam. I pulled this tank from another 62 Cutlass and was undercoated. So far, All the Jetfire cars and parts cars I have had never had undercoating on the tanks and the Cutlass’ cars did. I already had the tank dried out and safe from flames last year. I decided to finish removing the undercoat today. I use a little propane torch and heat up the undercoat and then it comes right off with a putty knife. Then the black greasy spots come right off with a little WD-40. The tank still has a really nice zinc finish to it. I will need to touch up some places but it is very nice. I am not going to repaint it and use as is other than a couple touch up spots. I am going to clean and paint the top side. The inside is as nice as the outside but sadly, I did not close off the sending unit hole and a mouse started a nest inside. I am just glad it didn’t have time to ruin the tank from mouse pee.
Also found the date code. Luckily, the date still matches my car very well.