Reply To: Sandy's 63 Jetfire 4 spd manual

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Sandy's 63 Jetfire 4 spd manual Reply To: Sandy's 63 Jetfire 4 spd manual

graytoad
Participant

Turned my attention to the tail end. The paint around the trunk letters was really age stained so even though we are not repainting the car at this time – I wanted those letters removed in order to polish the paint as best as we could. We discovered the letters have flat tabs on them and there are some tiny – hard to buy clips that go into the slots cut into the trunk lid to hold them in. It is good to have friends who love Oldsmobile’s too as I managed to get the clips I needed thru Eric Jensen! As we are not removing the bumpers right now I had to restore the F85 logo in place and sprayed the same paint I used in the turbines (and on my hubcaps) and hand brushed the satin/flat black background paint. Fortunately for me I did not have to repaint all the black lines in the rear end trim at this time, they just needed a good cleaning!
I removed all the lenses in my tail lights assemblies to clean them up and re-silver the reflector housing in spots. I decided to swap out the passenger side tail light assembly with another one that came with the car as the passenger side was badly pitted. The replacement one was not perfect either but in much better shape. I was surprised on how clean it was in the tail light pocket, amazing. When we reinstalled, I first added some putty sealant as I wanted to make sure the gasket sealed well once again, as it had been previously installed in another 63 F85.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum