Reply To: Re: .060 Cylinder Overbore Question

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts .060 Cylinder Overbore Question Reply To: Re: .060 Cylinder Overbore Question

62oldsf85
Participant

Bruce,
I did a .030 overbore on mine. One of my cylinders was shot from a spun rod and piston shattering that got thrown through the block (no kidding). To prepare for sleeving that cylinder, we actually bored out .100 to remove the original cast sleeve. It looked like peeling a thick tin can. A .010 clean up can sometimes get rid of the rim ridge, but you would use a ridge reamer to do that and then look at the condition of the cylinder (the circumference of the ridge is actually smaller than the cylinder, so once you use the ridge reamer, you’re usually good up on top, it’s the middle and the bottom of the cylinder, the scoring in it, and the actual true roundness of it that they’ll measure to determine whether or not they need to take more out.

Anyway, my experience with those cast sleeves is that they are pretty damn thick, and it takes a while to get to the water jacket. This engine does produce a lot of heat, but if your block’s water passages are cleaned well and your cooling system runs effectively, I think you could do a .060 over. I had my piston tops jet hot coated for heat resistance, you might consider that. It was pretty cheap (about $200 for all 8) and who knows, but I figured that was cheap insurance.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum