Reply To: Re: Buick 215 and a turbo

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Buick 215 and a turbo Reply To: Re: Buick 215 and a turbo

JimNoel
Participant

Hi Joel,
I have not seen a Olds Jetfire turbo mounted on top of the Buick 215 engine. I am not sure if the exhaust manifolds will fit for correct connection to the turbo, but let’s assume they do. The next issue would be turbo and intake fitting with the Buick style valve covers, the Buick valve covers are taller. You would have to be sure the complete intake system “clears” the top of the Buick valve covers. Olds Jetfire uses unique valve covers that provide a fitting/opening for the turbo oil return to the engine crankcase on the right (passenger side) of the engine. The left valve cover has an opening/fitting for the PVC valve and engine breathing gases to be drawn into the air cleaner. So, both Buick valve covers would require modifications to work correct with a turbo set up. I do not believe the Jetfire valve covers will fit on the Buick heads. The Turbo Rocket fluid injection system will work, regardless of the engine brand. You will need the Turbo Rocket fluid supply tank that is mounted on the inner left fender well of a Jetfire. I do believe the intake manifold for the turbo set up will fit either brand of 215 engine. It would be a “project” and would require you to check out the placement and fitting of the turbo exhaust and intake manifolds before you get too far into the project.
You would want the Buick engine to be the Skylark version from a ’62 or ’63. They were the higher compression 195 H.P. engines. Putting a turbo set up on the 155 H.P. engine, either Buick or Olds, would be a waste of time and money. You would NOT get the performance expected.
Olds Jetfire engines are “out there”. Turbo intake systems can be found. I understand that you would like to work with the parts and money you already have into your collection, but as I stated, it will be a project!
Any specific questions? Send me an email.
Good luck, Jim

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum