Several months ago I posted “before” pictures of the windshield channel rust damage I was facing in my current ’62 Jetfire project. I thought I would go ahead and post the “after” pictures. For some reason the system won’t allow me to post the “after” photos here, so if you’d like to see them, please e-mail me and I’ll send them to you. I’ve seen some questions and comments here on similar issues so I thought I’d describe the repair process. I have a body man who is pretty skilled and he did the work. Initially we thought we would cut and splice pieces from a parts car I have, but the parts car has a good dash and it would have damaged the dash and I didn’t want to do that. So, we obtained a piece of sheet steel in the correct gauge (I don’t know the gauge but I can find out if anyone needs to know). Then my body man proceed to cut out the rusty areas, then cut and welded in pieces of the sheet steel to fit the cut out areas. This required a fair amount of shaping of the steel and grinding of the welds. Once the repair pieces were welded in, All Metal was used to fill in the imperfections and smoothed up. The window frame moldings were secured in place to make sure they fit with the repaired areas. Also, a new windshield was obtained and put in place to make sure that it also fit properly. One thing I learned in obtaining the new windshield is that the windshield for cars with a glue-in style windshield is slightly larger (top-to-bottom) than the windshield that is installed using a gasket. It has a different part number. I didn’t know that before this project and maybe most of you know that already. I obtained the new windshield from Pilkington Classics. It even has the correct LOF logo. Anyway, anyone with more questions can feel free to e-mail me and we can arrange a phone call if that would help.
Here are the ‘after’ pictures you were trying to load.