15 inch wheel option?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 15 inch wheel option?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

What was the difference between the P2 15 inch wheel option and the O2 15 inch wheel option? Is it only the white wall and black wall or was the tire size also different? What is the original tire size for the 15 inch wheel? Our 4 speed car has the 15 inch option but the tires are not original and need replaced.

Is there a way for me to know if my car came with black wall or white wall? My spare is white wall but not even sure it is original. Another question I have, how wide was the white wall on the 15 inch white wall option?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I have attached the “1961-63 F85 car and option prices” list I downloaded from somewhere a while ago. See Pg 3 for the wheel tire options you mention above. If you know your option,car type, and certain specific options like AC it tells you if it was whitewall or blackwall and wheel size. Doesn’t go into how wide the sidewalls. When I think back that may have been a transitional period-some cars were going to skinny and some cars still had wide.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Thanks, that looks like Jim’s list. I didn’t see the tire size listed.

jensenracing77
    Participant

From the best I can find I believe it was a 6.00-15 tire size. I would like to know more about the white wall width and the brand used if anyone knows.

macf85
    Participant

The 1963 factory service manual lists the available sizes as 6.50 x 13, 6.50 x 14 and 6.00 x 15. I would imagine the ’62 is probably the same. When my dad bought our 1963 in 1974 it still had the original spare (6.50 x 14). It was discarded years ago because it was dry rotted. The white wall was between 3/4″ to 1″ wide. I can’t remember what brand it was. Coker Tire makes a replica of B.F. Goodrich Silvertown bias ply tires and the whitewall on those is 7/8″ wide.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Thanks for the information. My car has 6.00 x 15 now but was not sure if 6.00 was the original size. I will likely go with radials but want to have the correct height tire on it. I am undecided as to go black wall or white wall. I have a long road ahead before I am ready for tires anyway. I want to get it running and derivable first. Maybe late Summer but I am not holding my breath.

macf85
    Participant

Have fun with this car. I’m jealous. You hit the jackpot finding a genuine 4-speed Jetfire that is unmolested and unrestored.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Don’t be to jealous. It needs more work than the pictures show. I just desperately hope that the engine is ok. I turned it close to an inch so it is not locked up. I didn’t want to turn it any more till I prime the oil pump with a drill and circulate fresh oil through the entire system. I am worried about all the aluminum with the old antifreeze sitting in it that long. I see corrosion around gaskets near the water pump and intake water ports. It may be eat up inside. There is no water in the oil at least. I have tomorrow off work and I am thinking about changing oil and pulling the distributor to circulate it.

oaklyss
    Participant

Eric, I would pull off a valve cover and check for sludge. Mine ran, but once I looked inside, I saw it needed to be taken apart it was so full of sludge.

jensenracing77
    Participant

[quote quote=11449]Eric, I would pull off a valve cover and check for sludge. Mine ran, but once I looked inside, I saw it needed to be taken apart it was so full of sludge.[/quote]

I plan to pull them to also be sure none of the valves are stuck. After it is running I will likely pull the engine and transmission. Even if it does not need rebuilt it will likely need all the gaskets replaced.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum