1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    oaklyss
    Participant

Just got this 63 4 speed that’s all original. I will be documenting stuff that I find like Eric did. The more info that’s on file, the more that’s known about what’s original on these cars.

Are these original windshield washer hoses?

[blockquote]BBCode you used is not allowed.[/blockquote]

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

I believe this to be an original lower radiator hose. Top one was replaced at some time:

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Turbo is operational and date code is 12-17-62, car is 01D so I believe it to be original. Here is the seal:

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Greg,
    I assume this is the Antique Rose Jetfire that was recently offered on eBay? If so, really nice looking Jetfire!
    Are you going to “clean it up”?
    Have fun, Jim

jensenracing77
    Participant

Very cool! Keep the pictures coming.

oaklyss
    Participant

That’s the car Jim. I will make it roadworthy and then see what it needs.
    The engine compartment is painted Black. I have confirmed there is no body color under the black paint. The car is a 01D BC (January 1963, 4th week, Southgate California) build. Body #791. There is a number hand written in grease pencil near the Turbo fluid tank of “2539” see pic.

My other 1963 Jetfire had a body color engine compartment and was a 11A BC (November 1962, 1st week, Southgate, California) build. Body #388. The number hand written near the fluid tank is “7073”
    I do not know what these hand written numbers mean. The earlier car has the higher number.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Greg,
    I understand that for the ’63 Jetfire’s, some were painted black and some were body color, under the hood. I have not seen or heard of a ’62 with black, I think all were body color. For some time I thought that the black under hood painted cars all came from one build site but you have disproven that thought of mine now. A real bonus to the ’63’s is that the seat cover replacements are available, no custom cut & sew$$.
    Keep our site posted with your progress………….fun!
    Thanks, Jim

oaklyss
    Participant

Yes Jim, 63 reproduction seat covers AND front and rear door panels are available. Although the reproduction front seat covers do not have the original carpeted lower back portions:

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Original Jetfire distributor for manual transmission will have the part number 1111021 stamped on the point plate. My date code is 2 L 8 which decodes as November 8, 1962, correct for the car build date:

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

If the carpet is in good shape but only faded, I have found that the SEM flexible coatings work great for the carpet. I have done two carpet sets with it and both turned out excellent.

As for your first question about the washer hoses, both of my 62 cars have the original hoses and have the yellow stripe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum