1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    oaklyss
    Participant

Original starter wire loom cover has missing section. A place called Restoration Supply Co has them in all sizes. They also have the white braided cover for the choke tube on automatic cars

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Confirmed that this car has the Jetfire specific 10” clutch.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Good deal Greg! It also appears that you have the three finger style pressure plate. If you have intentions to replace the pressure plate, I recommend that you have the three finger one rebuilt. Current day replacements are the diaphragm style and are not as good! Be sure that all spring locations have springs. (non-Jetfire pressure plates only used 6 springs instead of nine.)

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I just had my clutch and pressure plate rebuilt by Clutch Dynamics in Lansing Michigan. He charged me $172 total with shipping. Mine was the second Jetfire clutch he rebuilt in 6 months. I have not driven it yet but it looks good. If you send it in to rebuilt by someone I would tell them you don’t want it painted. I didn’t think of it and they painted mine blue.

oaklyss
    Participant

I just checked it, it has 9 springs. I have a rebuild place here- Southland Clutch-that will be doing it.
    What are we using for throw out bearing, part number, or source?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I would like to know as well what people are using. My original one is nice as could be and I am seriously thinking about reusing it. Not sure if NOS would be easy to find or not but I suspect that it is the same for many years and applications. I still need to look into it myself.

graytoad
    Participant

Been reading your story here. I have been wondering how many 63 4 speed cars are still out there and on the road. We just purchased an original, rust free survivor 4 speed out of California that was recovered by Sierra Auto Restoration that had been in storage for 33 years: & I managed to sweet talk them into selling it to me as is. Anyway: will be watching your progress and I will start a thread for ours too. Keep me posted on the throw out bearings please: have not tried to investigate that yet. Also, do you have any tips on how to remove the distributor off the chain cover?
    Sandy (& Steve) Gray
    Hamilton Ontario, Canada

oaklyss
    Participant

Please show us some photos! The distributor is removed by taking out the hold down bolt and retainer.
    I just replated several bolts using Eastwood electroplating kit. Also did several brackets and they came out great.
    I will be using the cold method of black phosphate using magnesium oxide and distilled water on the motor bolts.
    My inner fender aprons were in good shape but fragile. A company called Rubber the Right Way has the exact rubber for these.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

What is the best camshaft to use? Crower 50227, 50228, 50229, or Elgin (Sealed Power) E364S. Which works best with the turbo?
    Also I need a replacement boot for the clutch rod thru the firewall.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Sandy, I had a distributor corroded to the front cover one time. It was so bad I ended up braking it trying to get it apart. If that is your problem then be careful.

oaklyss, I lost track of what one we put in our automatic car but it is one of the Crower cams. I got it from D&D as a kit with the lifters and timing set. His kit number is 50228CK. I am not overly impressed with it but not sure if that is because of the automatic transmission or not. I told him I wanted the closest to stock he could possible get and I fell it is less then stock. I do believe that is partly because it has thicker head gaskets also with the Egge pistons so I know it is much less than stock compression also. Now, the 63 4 speed car I got and sold a couple years back. It had the next level cam (again, not sure what that is) and it was MUCH better. I am sure the 4 speed had some to do with that and also D&D built that engine so I have no idea what the compression was. Not sure any of this helps but thought I would post it.
    My 4 speed car I am using an NOS cam and NOS head gaskets with the original pistons so it will be exactly stock

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum