1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I just found the engine build sheet from D&D for that 4 speed car I had. No wonder it was so much more than our automatic car. For sure a more performance cam

Block decked .003
    deck height .023-.026
    head chambers 41-42 cc (I assume they cut them a little)
    pistons Egge pistons.040
    compression right at 10.0:1
    cam Crower 50229

oaklyss
    Participant

If we had the stock specs for the camshaft, it could be custom ground. A degree wheel would show it, or any cam grinder can put an original cam on a machine that would give the specs.
    Here is the black oxide system, works great. Takes a couple minutes.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

It should really be put on a cam doctor to really get it right. A friend had a cam checked on a cam doctor and it was really expensive to have done. I did not look into it myself but thought about it.

JimNoel
    Participant

Here are some cam specs from the 2002 D&D Fabrications Parts Book. Doesn’t show the stock values for Jetfire but might help some of you.

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

That’s the car Jim. I will make it roadworthy and then see what it needs.
    The engine compartment is painted Black. I have confirmed there is no body color under the black paint. The car is a 01D BC (January 1963, 4th week, Southgate California) build. Body #791. There is a number hand written in grease pencil near the Turbo fluid tank of “2539” see pic.

My other 1963 Jetfire had a body color engine compartment and was a 11A BC (November 1962, 1st week, Southgate, California) build. Body #388. The number hand written near the fluid tank is “7073”
    I do not know what these hand written numbers mean. The earlier car has the higher number.

[blockquote]BBCode you used is not allowed.[/blockquote]

I think it is odd that your car is black under the hood but mine is body color (white) yet they were built in the same plant one week apart. I wonder if ‘they’ deemed that the rose color would look ‘nasty’ in the engine bay or if it was more of ‘the call’ of the guy with the paint gun. Wondering ‘when’ the bay was actually painted – was it the same time of the exterior of the car was painted or was it when the door frames etc were painted……

oaklyss
    Participant

There are a couple cars that have been found with black engine bays. Different plants, different body color. Another mystery to be solved. I removed my wiper motor and the black paint under it is perfect.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

The mysterious 2M on some of the 63 cowl tags, I wonder how those correlate to cars with body color to cars with black paint in the engine compartment? Whatever 2M is, it has to be involved with Fisher body to be on the cowl tag and this paint would be also Fisher body. Just a thought and wondering if we have enough 63 data to make this comparison accurately.

macf85
    Participant

My 1963 has a factory black engine compartment as well as the 2M on the cowl tag but I don’t know if the 2M is related to it. It’s Midnight Mist body color and it was built later in ’63. Production date July 25, 1963 at the Lansing plant.

oaklyss
    Participant

My tag does not have any accessory codes.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I guess we will just have to keep guessing on the 2M, lol. Mysteries of production are fun to try and figure out. You with the most unique cowl tag award though with the XXX paint code.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum