1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 1963 Original Jetfire 4 speed

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    oaklyss
    Participant

I found an interesting detail in the 63 assembly manual. The wire to the TRF tank goes on the flat side of the fluid level float switch. All cars I see have it on the other side.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

That is interesting. The 63 barn car I drug home over a year ago was on the other side but that car had around 100,000 miles so someone could have moved it. Not sure if this one would have been strictly followed on the assembly line but for sure interesting. I had never even thought of this routing before. My 62 4 speed car was around the rounded side also.

graytoad
    Participant

This is my 63 before anyone touched it (photo taken by Coles) – however no idea if the tank had ever been serviced previously. Also keep in mind that a plant employee ‘having worked the assembly line for a many years’ may have continued to run a wire ‘the way they always had’ even if there was a suggested change. So now I will need to decide if I should put it back the way we found it or as per the assembly manual….I am thinking the latter.

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Sandy,
    Not quite sure why that “wire to ground” (?) is attached to your sender mounting screw? Looks like a place to compromise the seal of the sender to the tank. Where does that wire go? Your tank is grounded by the six tank to inner fender bolts.
    Jim

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

With so few Jetfires built on the line compared to hundreds of thousands of other cars, I’m sure they had to refer to the manual when a rare Jetfire came down the line. However, they would not have had much time to refer to it.
    Sandy, I noticed on your car you have a 62 washer fluid tank. Could be the were using up the 62 tanks or ran out of 63. Mine had the 63 tank. Also your horn was installed in the wrong location. At first I thought someone may have moved your horn, but what is interesting is my horn was installed in the same place! I thought the previous owner did it but now I think this may have been done by mistake on the line as both our cars were built at the same plant a week apart.
    If you look at these instructions, it’s not clear where to mount it unless you read carefully. I have moved my horn to the correct position and you can see where I put cloth tape over the holes.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Another detail is this correct battery warning sticker you can get on eBay for 63 Pontiacs.

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

Well then, details details… Thanks for the heads up!

graytoad
    Participant

I would love to see a photo of the 62 VS 63 washer fluid tank side by side.
    Someone, somewhere told me before that my tank was incorrect (maybe Eric) but my tank looks ‘just fine’ to me.
    Just wondering if the mounting holes were the same from 62 to 63: if they were actually different then I would know if mine possibly came equipped with a 62 part bolted in as there would be extra holes etc, or if it had been replaced. I don’t remember Oaklyss which of our cars were was built first. If it was mine then maybe they used up the 62 supply before yours was built….. but if it was the other way around then that is curious!

graytoad
    Participant

Jim Noel: I see what you are saying now about that. I am in Florida and the car is in Ontario Canada. I have no idea why that sire is there. I am guessing by your experience that an extra wire should not be there at all?

jensenracing77
    Participant

That is cool about the battery decal. The 63 barn car I got out of Iowa had a decal there that was painted over. I took lots of time to try and remove the paint to see what the decal was but I just couldn’t get to a point I could see it. I never looked in the assembly manual. I don’t think that decal was on 62 cars.

I will get a picture of both washer tanks Sandy. Yours could be a 63 tank, I just never seen a 63 tank with Oldsmobile on it. The two tanks mounting hole locations are different.

Viewing 10 posts - 71 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of oaklyss
Profile picture of johnsage
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of steveharclerode

OldsJetfire Forum