62 Cutlass flywheel lightening

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Cutlass flywheel lightening

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    63cutlass
    Participant

62cutlassconvert, yes that is true with one piece drive line configuration, but a CV joint and center carrier bearing setup, things are set up differently. The first time I have any problems with my current set up, I will go to a one piece driveline. I have modified my upper control arms already, so the pinion angle can be easily changed as needed to get the driveline angles parallel. Having installed different rear springs (stiffer) and having the ride height one inch taller, the problem of the driveline hitting the body tunnel will not be a problem. That’s why the factory used the carrier bearing design in the first place, clearance issues.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

BTW the machine shop is happy with the flexplate and thinks this is the way to go. If they would just finish the eng now!

We are doing 2 cars with this conversion and had planned to shorten the front shaft. But sounds like you have some practical experience here that we can learn from.

The TH200 does appear to be significantly shorter than the T5.

So I guess you moved the center carrier support crossmember back on the frame and then shortened the 2nd shaft?

Regarding a single shaft, we have discussed that too but thought we would try the shortening of the 2 pc shaft to see if it worked. One car is running 1″ shorter/stiffer Eaton Detroit springs-think there’s enough clearance for a 1pc shaft?

Viewing 2 posts - 11 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum