Member: Jetfire1












Member: 62oldsf85












Member: JetfireGuy











XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)












Member: JimNoel











Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog 62 Cutlass front parking/turn light lens gasket

62 Cutlass front parking/turn light lens gasket

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Cutlass front parking/turn light lens gasket

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  62cutlassconvert 3 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13205

    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

    I know-“What are you kidding” but I gotta ask. Anyone know if the gaskets are available for the front parking/turn signal lens?

    #13206

    jensenracing77
    Participant

    Good question. Someone just told me not long ago that they hand made them from a material that was similar to the original material. Not sure where to get that material or what it was. This may be a good one for Jim. He seams to find all kinds of materials.

    #13210

    JimNoel
    Participant

    I have made a set of gaskets out of light gray RTV Silicone rubber (elastomer). Both the aluminum housing and the plastic lens need to be very clean. Apply a generous amount of the RTV to the bottom surface of the housing (be sure to apply around the two screw holes too) and place the lens in place. Hold the lens in place with the two screws with only a very small amount of pressure. Let cure for a day or so. When cured, the lens can be pulled out and the newly formed gasket can be gently removed from the aluminum housing. This process took me a couple of attempts to get good sealing gaskets but I worked for me. I used a old lens to make the gasket so I would not harm a good lens in the process.

    #13211

    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

    Sounds good Jim. Did you coat the lens and housing with any oil or anything to aid in the release or did it just peal off once you got it right?

    Thanks

    #13213

    JimNoel
    Participant

    I honestly do not recall! It was back in 2006 and my memory can’t pull up all the details.If you elect to coat the housing and lens with something to help the release of the new RTV gasket, a light coating of vegetable oil might work best. A silicone oil or grease might just incorporate with the RTV silicone rubber and not give the desired result. Experiment with a small amount of RTV on aluminum housing back side and a dab on the plastic lens on the side first to check it’s ease of removal.

    #13215

    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

    Good stuff Jim. Thanks. I’ll report back.

    #13288

    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

    Man, everything sticks to both the alum housing and the lens like crazy. Would never be able to get it apart and I only have one good lens to work with. Tried RTV and regular Permatex Silicon sealant and same result. Tested a small area using veggie oil and while it helped on the release it wasn’t reliable for release and if I have the whole perimeter gooped to form the gasket I would be very concerned about being able to separate them. You’re right on the silicon grease or spay silicon, complete adhesion. Also got a product called Versimold which is a partially cured form of rubber that is form-able to whatever shape you want and then cures with a heat gun or oven bake. Check it out, looks very useful, but had a difficult time with this application, didn’t work out but may give it another try.

    Cutting a crude foam gasket for now but any suggestions appreciated for a better product.

    #13289

    macf85
    Participant

    You might want to cut your own using Neoprene Foam Closed Cell Sponge EPDM sheet. This material is similar to the original gasket material. 1/16″, 3/32″ and 1/8″ thicknesses are available on Ebay in smaller sheet sizes. Use the lens to make an impression on the sheet to make an outline and cut it carefully with an X-acto knife. Should be waterproof especially when compressed.

    #13290

    JimNoel
    Participant

    After you last post on the trouble you had making a usable gasket from RTV, I thought I had better check the outcome of mine. Pulled one lens to check out the gasket that I made and found that it is what I thought it was, light gray RTV silicone molded to fit. What I also learned is that it is stuck quite well to the plastic lens! I can peal it off if I am very careful, only tried a small area though, I do not want to have to make one again! Here are some pics of the lens and gasket. There is no residue in the aluminum frame, clean as a whistle.
    Jim

    Attachments:
    #13294

    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

    Looks good Jim. Wish I could get there. Yeah Mac, that’s the stuff I was referring to, I had done a quicky but I need to take some more time. May cut my losses and go with the foam, like the look of that RTV though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Posts in the Forum

Recently Active

Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of 62 Cutlass Convert
Profile picture of john-sage
Profile picture of Felix j garcia
Profile picture of joemo
Profile picture of Jim Noel
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of Clint
Profile picture of Greg Oakley
Profile picture of 62to63
Profile picture of Ken Dennison
Profile picture of Doctor G
Profile picture of twobolts
Profile picture of macf85
Profile picture of akatsilometes

Who’s Online

Profile picture of jensenracing77