62 Cutlass Spindle conversion

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Cutlass Spindle conversion

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

Any thoughts of an offset m\c?

oaklyss
    Participant

These cars only weigh 2700 lbs, There is really not reason to go 5 lug. Plenty of nice wheels. If you rebuild the brakes properly, the stock drums are more then sufficient. I never had a need for disc brakes. These are rare cars and imho should be left stock

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=13716]Any thoughts of an offset m\c?[/quote]

Why do you need an “offset” M/C? I thought we covered the M/C options back in August.

captiannapalm
    Participant

so i dont mess with cutting the shock brace

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=13728]so i dont mess with cutting the shock brace[/quote]

Why can’t you use the Fairmont M/C as discussed previously in this thread? Ports are on the side away from the brace. No cutting required.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I now have driving time on my Fairmont M/C with manual brakes and disc conversion up front, same M/C as Joe’s, and although it’s a long pedal I find it very acceptable with easy modulation and good stopping. No brace cutting needed, slight movement/grinding of the current relief for the M/C in the unibody frame flange, NBD.

captiannapalm
    Participant

You also mentioned long pedal.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Yes, long pedal, works good.
    If you want get a Baer Racing “Remaster” MC. It’s short, ports on both sides, comes 15/16, 1″ , and 1 1/16″, billet alum, in colors, no brainer fit, larger bore will shorten pedal, and it’s about $400.

joe_padavano
    Participant

Keep in mind that a larger bore increased pedal force requirements for a given braking force.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum