Member: JetfireGuy

XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog 62 Cutlass Spindle conversion

62 Cutlass Spindle conversion

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Cutlass Spindle conversion

This topic contains 38 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  joe_padavano 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

captiannapalm
    Participant

Any thoughts of an offset m\c?

oaklyss
    Participant

These cars only weigh 2700 lbs, There is really not reason to go 5 lug. Plenty of nice wheels. If you rebuild the brakes properly, the stock drums are more then sufficient. I never had a need for disc brakes. These are rare cars and imho should be left stock

joe_padavano
    Participant
    Any thoughts of an offset m\c?

Why do you need an “offset” M/C? I thought we covered the M/C options back in August.

captiannapalm
    Participant

so i dont mess with cutting the shock brace

joe_padavano
    Participant
    so i dont mess with cutting the shock brace

Why can’t you use the Fairmont M/C as discussed previously in this thread? Ports are on the side away from the brace. No cutting required.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I now have driving time on my Fairmont M/C with manual brakes and disc conversion up front, same M/C as Joe’s, and although it’s a long pedal I find it very acceptable with easy modulation and good stopping. No brace cutting needed, slight movement/grinding of the current relief for the M/C in the unibody frame flange, NBD.

captiannapalm
    Participant

You also mentioned long pedal.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Yes, long pedal, works good.
    If you want get a Baer Racing “Remaster” MC. It’s short, ports on both sides, comes 15/16, 1″ , and 1 1/16″, billet alum, in colors, no brainer fit, larger bore will shorten pedal, and it’s about $400.

joe_padavano
    Participant

Keep in mind that a larger bore increased pedal force requirements for a given braking force.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.