'62 F-85 Outside Rear View Mirror Wanted

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts '62 F-85 Outside Rear View Mirror Wanted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    JimNoel
    Participant

I am looking for a original equipment style outside rear view mirror. They were only produced in “left hand” configuration and the GM Accessories (OEM) part number is 989396. I am looking for one that doesn’t have any pitting and will not require re-chroming to go on a show car. The mirror glass is replaceable, so the glass condition is not important to me.
    Thanks for any help!
    Jim

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Jim, I can’t help on the mirror but do have a question about them. I never noticed till yesterday but I do not have one on our 4 speed car. You mention “GM Accessory” does that mean it was an option? I can see no signs where it ever had one on it but thought all cars had a driver side mirror?

JimNoel
    Participant

Yes, the 1962 Y body outside rear view mirror was an option. It is listed as option R-1 for $4.51. For the 1963 Y bodies the outside rear view mirror is listed as D-32 for $4.51 or a remote controlled one D-33 for $11.78.
    My original new purchase of a 1962 F-85 came without the rear view mirror and I bought one from the dealership and installed myself. For some strange reason I have kept the instructions, hole drill pattern and box since 1962! I have often found 1962 Y body cars with a different style rear view mirror installed. The owners must have added an aftermarket mirror themselves.

arthurjones
    Participant

Hi Jim:

I think I have two xtra. I am presently going through my storage and when i come across them I will email.

Also what/where can I find the proper air filter for the turbo.

Art Jones

jensenracing77
    Participant

Art, For the air filter you can either make and use the oiled foam like off road uses or have a K&N custom made. I have a K&N new that I can sell you if you have to have it now but I would have to have $128 shipped for it. If you send them the dimensions and have it done yourself it takes about 8 weeks but it is less money. I think it is $95 and shipping now from them direct. If I had the extra money I would order 10 of them because it gives a discount. When I order them I get 3 at a time so there are always a couple available to people without waiting. If you want to go the foam route I think you can find the details under the Nuggets From Noel section of the Articles.

PhilHahn62
    Participant

I have 2 NOS mirrors, but I want to keep one. I’ll send a picture. I need to determine a fair price as NOS, in the original box is pretty rare. Phil Hahn in Valpo.

JimNoel
    Participant

Thanks for the note Phil. Send me a pic and the price.
    jimnoel1@comcast.net

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    Arthur Jones does not have the correct mirrors. Your pic is the correct one that I need/want. Have not had a response from you, please get back to me.
    Thanks, Jim

jbkish
    Participant

Theres one on ebay right now that looks pretty good .

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi JBKISH
    Thanks for the info. I looked on eBay and only found a 63-64 mirror. The listing is not correct, the mirror is not for a 62 F-85 body car. If I have not found the one you are suggesting, please send me the link to the one you found.
    Thanks, Jim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum