XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog 62 Headliner material

62 Headliner material

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Headliner material

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  arthurjones 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jensenracing77
    Participant

Does anyone make a correct headliner or at least the correct material for the 62 Jetfire? Can an NOS one in white be found?

oaklyss
    Participant

Eric, SMS sent me a sample that is shown in this photo. They can pre-make one or just sell the fabric. What does your headliner look like?

Attachments:

jensenracing77
    Participant

Mine looks alot like that. The one in our 4 speed car is good but is stained from it being a smokers car. It is not coming clean and before I try getting more aggressive with it I want to be sure I have options if I ruin it. I used Goop hand cleaner on most of the cars interior but don’t want to try it on the headliner. I would have no way of cleaning what soaked through to the top side and fear the long term affects of it on there.

oaklyss
    Participant

I re-sprayed one cars headliner with a vinyl dye (comes in a spray can, works like spray paint) that was a very good match and made it look new again.
    The photo I posted is Tan. SMS also has white, I am sure.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I have used that on carpet sets and console parts before but never tried it on a headliner.

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    Here is a link to a offer on eBay but I think they are a re-seller from Acme Auto Headliner. I have bought a white headliner from Acme in the past and had them recover my visors too. All was good.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDS-F-85-HEADLINER-1961-1962-1963-NEW-IN-BOX-ALL-PRE-SEWN-READY-TO-INSTALL-/311065571803?hash=item486cf3f1db:m:mQvEAL_8IstkJ8yWrDc90Ng&vxp=mtr
    I do believe SMS offers the same product and service also.
    Jim

mikepoe59
    Participant

I ordered headliner material from SMS for my 62. they had different colors – I’ve seen the light blue and the tan. The material I received from SMS is an excellent match, and has the texture markings and highlights of the original. I think the pre-made headliner was $265.

arthurjones
    Participant

I purchased one from SMS 15 years ago. (Still in box) maybe I will get to it this year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recently Active

Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of john-sage
Profile picture of TheOtherDave
Profile picture of Jim Noel
Profile picture of scott
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of 62 Cutlass Convert
Profile picture of Greg Oakley
Profile picture of matt zischkau
Profile picture of Ken Dennison
Profile picture of Felix j garcia