62 hood grease pencil marking

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 hood grease pencil marking

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I have some new information but unfortunately I do not have permission to share the documents. I can tell about what is in them and wanted to add to some posts from the first page of this thread, the below is 62 only at this time, I am unsure if the 63 document can be found without another trip to Detroit. The first part is about the tags found on the right front brake drum if still there. I found that the 104 and yellow paint mark means power steering and no A/C. 103 and blue paint is manual steering and no A/C. 112 and green is manual steering and no A/C. 113 and orange is power steering AND A/C.

For the radiator, the 149 is manual transmission (3 or 4 speed) and no A/C. 147 will be for all Jetfire WITH factory installed A/C. 148 is for automatic transmission and no A/C.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I never put 2 and 2 together till now. My 4 speed car had this tag under the back seat. It shows the cowl tag number 1997, interior color, and 4 speed transmission. Not sure what the numbers are at the top. Anyone else find these under the back seat?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

OK, I need to do more research on radiators. On page two of this thread I noted that the 62 and 63 radiators are different. This may not be the case… I now know that there are three different codes for the Jetfire radiator for both years. I don’t think this is a year difference but an option difference. I am likely picking up a 63 Jetfire 4 speed car soon so I will see if that 63 has the same radiator as my 62 4 speed. Both cars have the same options that determine the radiator usage. If they are the same it will confirm that it is an option difference over a year change.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Some details on the 63 side trim… On the back edge of the front fenders for 63 have a silver painted area that goes from the back edge of the brushed aluminum trim to inside the door jamb area. If you ever repaint a 63 Jetfire, don’t forget to paint this silver area.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just found this paint dab on an original 63 steering link. This was a front suspension with the 104 code on yellow tape. I am guessing that this yellow paint has to do with the yellow 104 code tape on the brake drum.

I need to look more into it but it looks like the rear control arms were specific to the Jetfire. I would suspect that it is a bushing durometer difference and the arms are the same.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I cleaned up a pitman arm today from a 61 with manual steering and found this. It has a small yellow paint dab and then a large white paint dab on it. This is from a 32,000 mile car so some of the little details have survived well.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Found this under the fluid tank of our 4 speed car. I assume it is an NC and not an NO?

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

So we are still working on cleaning up the 63 Jetfire. Today we were cleaned up the underside and when it was dry enough so I wouldn’t get dripped on – I took some photos. Check out this huge paint code mark on the differential housing. The car was built on the 3rd week of January at the South Gate California plant.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Wow that is a big number. What is the letter code on the cover flange for the gear ratio? My 63 was built at Southgate also. January 4th week, body number 791. Is that close to your body number?

graytoad
    Participant

Have not checked that Oaklyss, but I will. I need a list of where all these numbers and marks are so I don’t scrub the marks off ……… I have never had a car that I have cared about the numbers before but this car is different. I tend to stumble across numbers: we are still cleaning etc – this one was hard to miss! Body number 732. So is this big rear diff cover what you are referring to? This in the only really rusty looking part on the car other than thing like the coil springs etc. I thought all the gear ratios were the same!
    Sandy

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum