62 hood grease pencil marking

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 hood grease pencil marking

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jensenracing77 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

jensenracing77
    Participant

Oaklyss, that number represents the rear end code for the assembly worker. My code book was printed in July of 62 for the 63 model year and this code does not appear in it so I am betting it had a running change on the rear end and the code is a little newer than my book.

Sandy, That cover will have numbers stamped in it on the right side running up and down between the to bolts. It will have a C for 3.36 gears and followed by a number. The number will be the day of year the rear end was built. You usually have to lightly sand the surface rust off to see them.

graytoad
    Participant

Took a fine brass brush to that spot: C- 3. So Eric, that means it was built January 3rd then with 3.36 gears. That certainly is an acceptable date for a car that was built the 3rd week of January.

Attachments:

jensenracing77
    Participant

For sure a good date. I am sure all the dates on that car are perfect. I started a notebook for my car’s dates. I would say roughly 75% of all parts have date codes on them, just a mater of finding them and decipher the code. Now I am wanting to find a late 62 or early printing of the codes. Not sure they ever printed one.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

Recently Active Members

Profile picture of johnsage
Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of doctorg
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of oaklyss

OldsJetfire Forum