62 hood grease pencil marking

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 hood grease pencil marking

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Oaklyss, that number represents the rear end code for the assembly worker. My code book was printed in July of 62 for the 63 model year and this code does not appear in it so I am betting it had a running change on the rear end and the code is a little newer than my book.

Sandy, That cover will have numbers stamped in it on the right side running up and down between the to bolts. It will have a C for 3.36 gears and followed by a number. The number will be the day of year the rear end was built. You usually have to lightly sand the surface rust off to see them.

graytoad
    Participant

Took a fine brass brush to that spot: C- 3. So Eric, that means it was built January 3rd then with 3.36 gears. That certainly is an acceptable date for a car that was built the 3rd week of January.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

For sure a good date. I am sure all the dates on that car are perfect. I started a notebook for my car’s dates. I would say roughly 75% of all parts have date codes on them, just a mater of finding them and decipher the code. Now I am wanting to find a late 62 or early printing of the codes. Not sure they ever printed one.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Found that both of my backing plates for the rear brakes have a yellow dab of paint on them. Not sure what they are for other than likely some kind of inspection marker.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Sandy inspired me to dig a little deeper into the axle code on my wife’s Jetfire. it is a dirty car on the bottom side but is also a very original rust free car. I decided to do a little slow cleaning on the rear end where Sandy found her code. I found it! Her 3.36 rear end has a code 23 that the inspectors guide says is correct for 62.

Attachments:
    graytoad
    Participant

cool!

jensenracing77
    Participant

Found another inspection mark on a 3.36 rear end. Yellow just under the fill plug. I wonder if it is to confirm that the fill plug was tightened?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just found this 21 marking in grease pencil on the front of the block just below the driver side head. In the 62 inspection book I found engine code 21 is for the manual transmission low compression engine so I assume this is not the engine code. I am guessing it is just some random inspection number that is not in the book. According to it, this engine should be code 30 and on tape. I have not found that any place and no clue where it would have been when they put the tape on.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Found this yellow paint mark on my drive shaft.

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum