62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i would like to hold off on doing this but i just don’t think i should. the transmission is just not right. i can drive it but don’t want to risk making things worse. i am also going to send Jim Noel the turbo/carb system to get rebuilt. the engine runs great but seeps oil here and there and i don’t want to put a new turbo setup on a 50 year old engine so i will rebuild it also. i would like to have this done by spring but it is a matter of if i can sell my old race quad. if it don’t sell i may not have this done till fall. i plan to mostly just freshen up the engine bay but don’t plan to go to far with that. mostly just clean what is there and not repaint much other than what is attached to the engine. next winter i plan to pull the engine cradle back out and put the body on a rotisserie. from what it looks like the engine/front suspension drops out the bottom really easy. i will find out tomorrow.

i started with draining the fluids tonight.

jet

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Hi,
    Yes, I think that is the easiest way to remove the engine. Here a some pic’s of the process.
    Jim
    IMG_1561

IMG_1563

IMG_1564

IMG_1566

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

things went much better than i thought they would today. the bolts came apart like they were just put in last week. i had one exhaust bolt that i had to take some time on but got it out without braking it. other than that i only had a brake line hold me up. the driver side brake line would not brake loose from the hose. i found where it was just a little thin at the nut so i decided to cut it. i will get a new one, it is only about 10 inches long. after seeing the 50 year old gaskets, it is no wonder it was leaking oil. the cylinder has minimal wear and so far all the parts look great. time to start cleaning parts, yuck. that is the worst part of doing this stuff.

fire

fire2

fire3

fire4

fire5

fire6

fire7

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

not much done today. finished pulling the engine apart and started to clean the heads.
    eng1

eng2

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Might be a good time to check your rocker arm shafts. More often than not they are bent!! The head through bolts tend to make the aluminum brackets slightly out of round, tough to slide off the shaft. Squeeze them ‘slightly’ in a vise 90 degrees from the bolt hole for easy removal. Roll your bare shaft on a flat surface to check if it is straight. Most are NOT! May also be scored from uneven rocker wear. Just a thought…………

IMG_3589
    IMG_3598

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i will be going through them also. i took the bolts out in steps to help keep from bending them but i will see what i find. i had a 62 dynamic 88 and they were pretty bad in the 394.

i did find out that the #2 cylinder is bad. looks like there was rust in it at some point in time. the car wasn’t smoking but i don’t see any way around having it bored. that stinks. what do you recommend for pistons and what do they run?

JimNoel
    Participant

I can’t give you a good answer regarding piston replacement. I have only replaced pistons with standard size used engine take-outs purchased from D&D. Have not had to bore any cylinders thus far. D&D are the 215 experts. If it were me, I would check with them 1st.

jensenracing77
    Participant

cleaned some parts tonight but i need to get new glass for the cabinet. the glass i have is almost dust. wondering about the cap? the metal tab in the middle is broke and parts missing. anyone have a cap or know where i could get a rivet that looks like the original. i think i am going to drill it out and try to rivet one in from another style cap i have.

clean

clean2

clean3

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

i was wondering what paint and color you used on the valve covers and exhaust manifolds?

jensenracing77
    Participant

cleaning parts and painting. the painting is ok but the cleaning is no fun at all. my wife thought the help sign was in the perfect place. if i kick the bucket before this is together she will be be needing all kinds of help, lol.
    i found some aluminum high heat paint and tried it. it looks ok to me.

02-18-12

02-18-121

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum