62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    testguy
    Participant

Doesnt the gasket for the fluid tank need to be alcohol resistant?

jensenracing77
    Participant

i had a bottle of heet at work and put one of these rubber gaskets in a paint cap then filled it with heet. i did that yesterday at work. i will see what it looks like when i get there in the morning.

i got some more parts cleaned and painted today. i painted the exhaust manifolds with POR-15 exhaust manifold gray. i am not sure it is the right color but they look good. the pipe to and from the turbo, i painted with a 1500 degree paint that i had to bake on. i don’t like the way they look. almost to much of an aluminum look. i am hoping it will darken a little after it is ran for a little while.

painted parts

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

now i have a question. how in the world do the front shocks come out? i degreased the front suspension and hit it with spray paint for now. i will do it right in a future suspension build. we will be driving this car alot for a while and the front end is all tight so i don’t want to take it all apart right now. i am going to put new shocks on it but the old ones will not come out. i tried to press the flange out of the top of the shock but it won’t come out. the flange is to wide to fit through the top of the spring tower. i can cut it but i don’t know how the new one will go in. i don’t have new ones yet so maybe they will be made differant. any ideas?

100_6999

100_7002

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

The shock comes out the bottom. You shouldn’t have to cut anything. It been a while since I changed mine but you may have to extend or compress it to get it out.

JimNoel
    Participant

Eric’s turbo system is ready for homecoming! Happy Turborocketing!!

IMG_3633

IMG_3636

IMG_3639

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

LOOKS AWESOME JIM! we are so excited to drive this car after it is done. i am in over my head at work right now so i just hope to be able to have it done before summer. i haven’t even got the block and rotating assembly to the machine shop or the transmission to the shop yet.

looking forward to getting the Turbo just to look at it:woohoo:

jensenracing77
    Participant

i got the balancer back today. i sent it to Winslow Mfg. Co. i am very pleased with there service. they are in NC. here is the link to there web site.

http://winslowmfg.net/index.html
    (919) 422-5001

balancer

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Does anyone have one of these or know where to get one? It is the rubber boot that goes from the turbo oil drain to the valve cover. This one is split and was leaking. I think would be able to seal it with some RTV but would rather get another one if i can find one.

Also got the heads back from D&D. I will be taking the engine and rotating assembly to the machine shop this Friday. Going to be bored, balanced, new pistons installed on the rods, and crank serviced.

oil return

oil return 2

62 heads

Attachments:
    62oldsf85
    Participant

Eric,
    That little boot is a pain in the ass. Mine was split also. I gently turned it inside out and used gray permatex to seal it. It’s worked fine for about 3 years now. I have a spare (that’s also cracked), but I don’t really want to give it up. It’s very cool looking at the pics you’ve posted. Jim did my turbo and carb set up and it’s still functioning very well after about 2K miles. I built the bottom end of my engine and hooked it all up, so I am glad to offer tips if you’re interested.
    Scott

bcroejuno-com
    Participant

Looks like some spare parts on Ebay, couple intakes + turbo. Bruce Roe

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum