62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62 Jetfire engine, trans, & turbo rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

We ran a full tank of gas through this car with the GPS hooked up. it got 16.7 MPG and was about 50% city driving. it also had some idle time while tuning on it and even a dozen or so times that i stepped on it. i think it will be close to 20 MPG on a tank of strictly highway driving. We are taking it to a car show tomorrow, the last one got rained out.

johnsage
    Participant

I bought a new jetfire in 62. I remember getting about 18 MPG on average. 20 MPG on the highway is a good bet.

bcroejuno-com
    Participant

jensenracing77 post=476 wrote: We ran a full tank of gas through this car with the GPS hooked up. it got 16.7 MPG and was about 50% city driving. it also had some idle time while tuning on it and even a dozen or so times that i stepped on it. i think it will be close to 20 MPG on a tank of strictly highway driving. We are taking it to a car show tomorrow, the last one got rained out.

My Jetfire NEVER got better than 16 mpg, even with the waste gate held open. The 4 barrel managed 18 to 23, depending on type of driving.

But the thing it did best was idle. No one in the car could tell if it was running, I knew by the gauges. Guess that compressor did some extra mixing.
    Bruce Roe

jensenracing77
    Participant

I have never been happy with the temps this car was running after i got it done. The guy i got it from had just had the radiator worked on and i have the paper work that he paid to have it rodded out. Everything i had going on keeps telling me that i have a radiator issue so i pulled it out and took it to a radiator shop. They pointed out right away that it was way to weak to handle a rod being stuck through it. They said they believe it was boiled out and then a coat of paint and that is all. they showed me where the core is starting to have corrosion coming through the paint that was put on it. Now i am going to have it recored. The tanks are perfect thank goodness. They are getting me a quote for a new one but i am going to have to have it done. With copper prices as high as they are i am sure it is going to be high.

Anyone have this done recently?

bcroejuno-com
    Participant

jensenracing77 post=622 wrote: I have never been happy with the temps this car was running after i got it done. The guy i got it from had just had the radiator worked on and i have the paper work that he paid to have it rodded out. Everything i had going on keeps telling me that i have a radiator issue so i pulled it out and took it to a radiator shop. They pointed out right away that it was way to weak to handle a rod being stuck through it. They said they believe it was boiled out and then a coat of paint and that is all. they showed me where the core is starting to have corrosion coming through the paint that was put on it. Now i am going to have it recored. The tanks are perfect thank goodness. They are getting me a quote for a new one but i am going to have to have it done. With copper prices as high as they are i am sure it is going to be high.

My Jetfire never overheated, though on a hot day opening the hood was like opening an oven. I hope your fan is at least a 6 blade, a shroud helps a lot. I used an overflow tank on mine. I don’t believe in rodding out a radiator; might as well put in a new core. Lately imported “replacements” are inferior, reduced # of tubes. But for a hefty price, an “extra duty’ radiator can be built that is even better than the original. I got a couple of these in recent times, imported not good enough.
    Bruce Roe

kid442
    Participant

Eric,
    The last 4 core 442 radiator we had done was $450 last year.
    Let me know how you make out.
    Ken

jensenracing77
    Participant

I picked up my radiator from where i took it. I think they would be just fine to do the work but i got asking around and found another place. I called them and feel MUCH better about them. One thing i did not like about getting it recored was that the top rail will not have the holes in it like the original one does. Not many people would ever know it is not original but it would bother me every time i open the hood. I didn’t know they could do it but they said they can use my top and bottom rail on the new core so it will look like original! They also said these originals were around 1/4 to 3/8 inch tubes and the new core will be 1/2 inch tubes but not be wider over all. Just less distance between the tubes front and back. They said the new core will have much more cooling capacity. They also agreed that my core could not have ever been roded out because it was much to weak to handles it.

The best part is that the new core is made in USA (Michigan) and i get to pick up the radiator this Friday! The other place said it could be up to 2 months. Now i wonder if that was because his cores came from China?

With explaining what i had going on and them looking at my radiator, they said they are 100% sure this radiator is my problem.

jensenracing77
    Participant

I got the radiator back today! I ask to get the old core back and after looking into the tubes,,, I found the problem. The tubes were very full like i suspected. This is what i get for being to trusting. The last owner did get the radiator worked on because i have the paper work. It is the shop he took it to that i have no idea who they are. I should have had the radiator looked at when i rebuilt everything else. I just trusted that it was done right. They charged him for roding it out and didn’t do it. I am excited again to drive it and see how it does. With the bigger tubes and higher capacity, it should cool great! I think i am going to add an external transmission cooler and hook it in line with the one in the radiator. I feel like these automatic transmissions need all the help they can get.

For anyone that is looking to get this done, you better be sitting down when they tell you the price. This one ran $471. it looks original other than there are many more cooling fins. The tubes are wider but you can’t see that till you take off the radiator cap.

bcroejuno-com
    Participant

That is less than I paid. It should work great now. Bruce Roe

jensenracing77
    Participant

I took the car out Sunday. It was the hottest day I had it out so far. The new radiator worked out great! It was almost 90 degrees out and in stop and go traffic it got to 190. going down the road it was 160 and that is what the thermostat is. I feel MUCH better about driving the car on hot days now.

Now I just need to detail it and get it ready for the nationals. It could never win but want to make it look the best I can.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum