62' Olds F85 Cutlass 5 lug conversion and disc break conversion

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62' Olds F85 Cutlass 5 lug conversion and disc break conversion

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    rosecityOlds
    Participant

I have a Scarebird kit for sale if you’d like. I’d ship it to you for $100

Attachments:
    oldjalopie
    Participant

Dand, Newbie here , can I get some info on the Scarebird I’m going to do a conversion

oldjalopie
    Participant

would this fit a F85 cutlass

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Bens Classic Car Parts, BCCP, has a turnkey kit for sale with either 5 lug front hub or 4 lug front hub. He also sells a 5 lug rear axle and I believe 5 lug drums for the rear. It will turn out more expensive than Scarebird but it is turnkey. You can have Moser or someone make a 5 lug rear axle for you from your orig as a sample. No one would drill out my rear axle due to the large access holes in it. I’ve installed a 1980 Fairmont Dual MC Drum/Disk already and it went pretty easy. Just a slight trimming of the frame flange in front of the factory notch with no cutting of the stiffner strut along with some custom lines. Here’s a pic.

Attachments:
    oldjalopie
    Participant

Thank you for the info , I have not made up my mind which way to go , there is so many ideas of what to do , any other info you are offering would be great.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Will post the results of my front disc install when I get it done. Might be a little while. Right now I am getting ready to pull and replace the springs and check the ball joints. 1″ lowered springs from Detroit Spring are going back in. A little paint on the spindle… and then the disc brakes go on.

That Fairmont MC is much smaller than the generic GM MC that is sold with most kits and which requires more cutting. I believe another member used a S10 alum MC which fits nice and is smaller but the Fairmont MC fit well and is more period looking and has a deep pocket for the actuator shaft.

iamneal07
    Participant

Do you still have the kit?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Not sure what you mean with your question. Ben’s is still selling the 5 lug disc brake kit for the front and is now selling 5 lug axles for the rear, you can also send an axle off and Moser will make a 5 lug axle for you. 1″ lower Detroit springs work great and the rear sway bar with the bracket mods shown in another post also works well, car handles nice. MC comes on close to the floor but works well once you get there.

mrmexican
    Participant

Does anyone know what year S10 MC I need and if I need a booster or not?

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Check the 6163.Skylark forum for an extended thread on the conversion. Both Scarebird and BCCP conversions are covered. Several of those guys are using a Rambler manual mc I believe. Cheap and small for Manual brakes, drum/drum but they like it for the disc/drum. BCCP will sell you one of their new alum mcs which is small, manual, and expensive. Not sure and someone else can clarify but I don’t think the s10 mc is for manual brakes-shallow pocket.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum