62' Olds F85 Cutlass 5 lug conversion and disc break conversion

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62' Olds F85 Cutlass 5 lug conversion and disc break conversion

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

this may be taboo, but merc has 4 lug discs for the comet…..Thoughts,

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=14997]this may be taboo, but merc has 4 lug discs for the comet…..Thoughts,[/quote]

Unclear how that helps. Different wheel bearings, for starters. Different spindles. The rotors are the easy part. I have Saab 900 rotors with the same 4 x 4.5″ bolt pattern for the front. They have plenty of offset from the wheel mounting surface to the rotor face and with VW Jetta calipers will clear the optional 15″ factory wheels. I need to see if they clear my 14″ slot mags.

Attachments:
    captiannapalm
    Participant

Here is a question, that I don’t see answered…. What about the vacuum booster. What sixe ,and where is this get mounted. Second question…..Wilwood has a remote master cylinder…..thoughts?

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=15140]Here is a question, that I don’t see answered…. What about the vacuum booster. What sixe ,and where is this get mounted. Second question…..Wilwood has a remote master cylinder…..thoughts?[/quote]

The car weighs 2600 lbs. Why do you need a vacuum booster? The stock booster was under the dash. You’d need to find one of those if you must have power brakes. I converted my drums to dual circuit using a Fox-body M/C with 7/8″ bore. Original was 1″. What a difference! Pedal force is noticeably reduced. Definitely don’t need a booster. Just be smart about picking an M/C.

mrmexican
    Participant
    joe_padavano
    Participant

That S10 master cylinder has a 1″ bore. Again, you need to really understand the relationship between bore size and pedal pressure and stroke. My 7/8″ bore M/C noticeably reduced pedal pressure.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I believe that MC is also for power brakes and has a shallow pocket for the actuating rod, manual brake MCs have a deep pocket for that rod. You can make it work but you need to fab up something to prevent the rod from slipping out. There are options for 1” manual MCs, I think I have the same 7/8” as Joe and although the pedal is low it works great. Easy to push and modulate. More discussions on this on the 6163skylark forum.

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=15160] I think I have the same 7/8” as Joe and although the pedal is low it works great. [/quote]

I initially had the same problem with the pedal being low. I somewhat expected that, given the smaller bore needs more stroke to provide the same volume of fluid to the wheels. I then replaced the flex hose to the rear axle (which was original to the car and thus a little scary) and also went through and carefully adjusted the brakes at each wheel. Wow, what a difference. Pedal travel is minimal, and the force is still low. I drove this 2600 miles in June for Power Tour and Homecoming, including some very twisty mountain roads, and the brakes were phenomenal.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Joe you running discs? I have ss flex lines front and rear and pedal is still low. I am running discs up front which does take more fluid=more piston travel. Put self adjuster system on rear and they are working well too. But I live in the twisty Santa Cruz Mtns and the brakes work great low pedal and all.

Baer makes a 15/16” and 1” MC that is an easy fit, however it’s about $400!

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Oops, see your discs now.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum