62' Olds F85 Cutlass 5 lug conversion and disc break conversion

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 62' Olds F85 Cutlass 5 lug conversion and disc break conversion

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    joe_padavano
    Participant

No, I still have the original four wheel drums. I used the Fox body disc M/C. The only difference is that the disc M/C doesn’t have a residual pressure valve in the port to the front brakes. I figured that if that became an issue, I could always just plumb an external PRV into the line. So far I haven’t seen the need for it. My lines are all stock replacement rubber.

captiannapalm
    Participant

Why keep manual brakes….. The whole point to convert to disc is power disc brakes… A hell of alot better stopping power. Its all about making old cars better than new.

joe_padavano
    Participant

“Why keep manual brakes….. The whole point to convert to disc is power disc brakes… A hell of alot better stopping power. Its all about making old cars better than new.”

Uh, no. The brakes at the wheels neither know nor care if there is a power booster. All they know is the hydraulic line pressure. You don’t need a power booster to make sufficient line pressure. It’s just one way to get there. Carefully picking master cylinder bore and pedal ratio do the same thing. Manual vs power has nothing to do with pressure at the wheels.

captiannapalm
    Participant

It has all to do with stopping power. If manual brakes are so great then why does the D.O.T. require power brakes, and now antilock brakes.. Again its making old cars better than new.

joe_padavano
    Participant

“It has all to do with stopping power. If manual brakes are so great then why does the D.O.T. require power brakes, and now antilock brakes.. Again its making old cars better than new.”

You apparently still don’t understand how brakes work. If the pressure at the wheel cylinders is the same, what difference does it make if there is a power booster or not? The wheels certainly don’t know or care how that pressure was generated. The whole point of a power booster is to ensure that Grandma’s feeble legs can provide enough pressure on the pedal. If that’s what you need, have at it. Power boosters do NOT increase “stopping power”. Stopping force only a function of line pressure and piston size at the wheel (yeah, and the coefficient of friction of the brake pads on the rotor or drum). A power booster simply reduces the pressure required at the pedal to generate a given line pressure. There are other ways to do that that don’t require a power booster.

As for federally mandated items, the Feds mandate tire pressure monitoring and a whole slew of other nanny equipment. The actual safety value of that stuff is debatable, but at least it increases the price of new cars. Most of this mandated equipment is Congress appearing to do SOMETHING about a perceived problem, whether it actually makes sense or not. And frankly, I DON”T want an old car that drives like a new one. New cars are insulated transportation bubbles in which I have zero interest.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

C’mon , Joe, tell us what you really think.

royalbert867
    Participant

That’s quite an exciting project, converting a 62′ Olds F85 Cutlass to a 5-lug setup and counting disc brakes. It’s a competent upgrade that enhances both safety and performance. While functioning on this exciting changeover, please mention that if you need any aid with your physics homework, feel free to reach out. As a physics enthusiast, I’m always here to provide physics homework help to fellow enthusiasts. Keep up the great work on your car project!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum