'62 Windshield Installation

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts '62 Windshield Installation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    911pilot
    Participant

Sadly cracked my windscreen, having Safelite Replace the windshield I picked up from Pilkington. Am getting very apprehensive about them damaging/crimping/denting the metal trim piece as they say it is really fussy. Any advise as to how to avoid damaging the trim?

BruceM
    Participant

There were two different styles of windshields for 1962. One was installed by gluing it in. The stainless moldings around the windshield were held by clips that were held in the window channel by screws. The other style of windshield was held in by a rubber gasket that fit into the window opening. The stainless moldings were held in the gasket. With either style, I would think that you could cut the window out using a utility knife. You could then remove the stainless moldings fairly easily without damaging them. If you have the gasket style, replacement of the window is done by putting the moldings in the gasket, then the window in the gasket, then the gasket with the window assembly into the window opening. You should have a pro who has experience with older cars do this. It’s not too big of a job. With the other style, the molding clips need to be screwed into the window opening, then the window glued into the opening. The moldings are then clipped in around the window and secured via the clips. Hope this helps.

911pilot
    Participant

Bruce,
    Thanks very much for that advise; I have the “rubber gasket” style. I think cutting the old gasket to pull out the window makes great sense; installing the trim into the gasket first also makes good sense. I keep you posted

Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum