63 Cutlass/Jetfire Questions

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 63 Cutlass/Jetfire Questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BruceM
    Participant

Hi Guys,

While I’m finishing up my current 62 Jetfire project, I have started working on a 63 Cutlass project. I recently acquired a 63 Jetfire project car too, so a lot of my questions will apply to that car.

The 63 Cutlass engine compartment is black. Is it supposed to be gloss black, semi-gloss, or flat? What was it from the factory?

Is there a trick to getting the trunk letters off without breaking the posts? I know that they are a press-in fit but it looks like they can be easily broken while trying to pry them out. Does anyone have any extra trunk letters that are good that they can sell?

I know that original type seat covers are available. What is the best source for quality and price?

I’ve heard that original door panels are available. Same question: what is the best source for quality and price? Are they an exact reproduction? Do I need to send my old ones to be copied?

Any other info that you might think is helpful is appreciated. I’ve only worked on the 62 models so I don’t really have experience with the 63s but want to work on these projects. The current 63 Cutlass I’m working on has a beautiful color scheme with the body painted Saddle Mist and the top Provincial White. The paint code on the trim tag is SCA, and I don’t know what the “A” stands for. The wheels were painted the body color of Saddle Mist. Any info on this? Thanks for all of your help.

Bruce

carl
    Participant

I had some seat covers made for my 1962 Cutlass in Canby, Oregon (SMS upholstery). They did a good job, but it took them nearly a year to complete. I think I sent my old covers in for a pattern, but they might not need them.

I don’t know where to get the door panels, but if you find out let me know

jensenracing77
    Participant

Some 63’s were black and some were body color under the hood. Not sure what determined the difference? Maybe a mid year change? I believe it was just the typical chassis black they used for years. More of a satin finish. I have some extra trunk letters but not sure how nice they are. If you find you need them let me know and I will look for them. I think you just have to pull them out and hope they don’t brake. My parts cars with junk trunk lids, I cut the entire area out and push them out from the back side but can’t do that on a good lid.

BruceM
    Participant

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to get most of the trunk letters out without breaking them. I need a “D” and an “E”. I was able to pry them out with a putty knife just enough to squirt some WD40 in there and let it soak. Then I gently pried them out. Now, there are these little clips that hold them in place and they all rusted and most of them are broken. Do they make replacements for those? How do I put the letters back in and secure them if I don’t have clips? Thanks again for your help. It’s been an interesting project so far.

Bruce

jensenracing77
    Participant

I will look for them tonight. I have just a few of those clips but not sure how many. I am not aware of them being reproduced but not sure. Sandy looked and couldn’t find them a while back. Hoping that not all of them are bad that you have. On similar emblems I have used 3M clear emblem adhesive on the little studs when I install them and it holds well enough they will not fall out. It dries to a rubbery consistency.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The E I have is missing a stud and the chrome is dull on both of them. For some reason I can’t post pictures here any more but if I can get an email address I could send you pictures. I have not found the clips yet but I know I have some

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Bruce,
    I am not sure of the clip you are looking for? Many letters and emblems are mounted with a barrel clip like the JETFIRE emblems on the 1962 Jetfire front fenders. Some are in the Restoration Specialties 2020 catalog. Look on their page 213 for barrel clips. The letters on the front of a 1962 use speed nuts, also in their catalog.
    Jim

oaklyss
    Participant

My 63 has semi gloss engine compartment from the factory. The pic is from under my wiper motor. It’s a good quality paint. My car was undercoated, if that had any thing to do with it
    The seat upholstery made by Distinctive Industries is an exact repro and has the carpet on the lower front seat backs like original. They also make the door panels which are also exact match. You just have to transfer your chrome from the old panels.
    eBay is a great source, or go to their website for dealers.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Jim, The 63 trunk emblems area a rectangle style barrel clip. I have not found these yet.

BruceM
    Participant

Thanks, guys. This is all very helpful. I’ll try to salvage some of those clips and where I can’t use an adhesive like Eric mentions. I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any other questions. I’ll post some pictures too.

Bruce

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum