63 Jetfire 4 speed barn find car

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 63 Jetfire 4 speed barn find car

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just got home last night from bringing this 63 Jetfire home. It is a factory 4 speed car and was last plated in 1971 and from what I understand, the car was parked in this barn in 1976. The original owner is 77 years old and had given the car to his boy in the 80’s but still never done anything with it. I was able to get a picture of the original owners standing by the car. So far I am seeing some major good points to the car. It needs major restoration but at least the rust is not bad at all. The floor pans are rock solid with only minor surface rust from what I am finding so far. The worst spot in the driver back corner by the bumper, it does have a hole there. It is original paint, original 4 speed turbo setup, the engine is not locked up, the brakes are not locked up, and has the Protect O Plates!

I am taking the car to MCACN in the barn find section like we did out 62 so I will only brush off the really dirty stuff and leave it still dirty. The interior is coming out ASAP! It needs aired out and scrubbed up. I would like to clean the interior parts and leave it out of the car till right before the show.

Mu plans are to make the car road worthy again and get it detailed the best I can after MCACN. I am not keeping the car long term and will likely let it go next Summer sometime.

Ryan Brutt was there with me getting pictures and videos of it in the barn and loading it up. He is going to put it in Hot Rod magazine like he did my 4 speed car.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

More pictures

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Stopped by the American Pickers place on the way home. Was funny because EVERYONE was taking pictures of it, with it so dirty people thought it would be part of the show, lol.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Another incredible find Eric!

jensenracing77
    Participant

Found some documents. The Protecto Plates are still there. The engine number matches and this shows it is a 4 speed car from Oldsmobile.

Also found a document that confirms the original owners story. He said he had just had a muffler put on it before he parked it. This document I found shows that he got the muffler in July of 1970 with 88224 miles on it. It was last plated in 1971 with 90,000 miles on it.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I went right to work on this car. I am pulling out the interior and going to clean everything the best I can. It is dry inside but smells really bad. I want to let it air out and deodorize it several times. I will use the Goop hand cleaner on it like I did my 62 on anything vinyl. I pulled the back carpet swept it and then hung it up to beat it for a while. I ended up using the garden hose on it with dish soap. I will still use some deodorizers on it. Tomorrow will be the front carpet and pull the door panels and kick panels. I don’t plan to put the interior back in for a while. After it is all clean I will start on getting it running.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I scrubbed the floor and trunk pans and done lots of cleaning. Still a long road ahead on the interior. Took the plugs out of the floor and used a garden hose with lots of dish soap and a scrub brush. It is blazing hot outside today and already dried out good. I need to pull the heater box out and clean in there. I have not looked at it yet but can I take this out without pulling the outside box?

Also tried cleaning one of the door panels with Goop hand cleaner. I believe this interior is going to look really good.

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Wow floors look really nice. You have to take both heater boxes off. They will be stuck on really good.
    It can be done with the motor in place but difficult. Turbo needs to come off.

jensenracing77
    Participant

That sucks… I am going to pull the turbo and likely the intake anyway so no big deal there. I am assuming that at least some lifters will be stuck and needing rebuilt like my other car. I don’t know for sure but I bet there is a mouse nest in the heater box. How hard is it to pull after the turbo is off? I assume some of the screws are hard to get to?

oaklyss
    Participant

No, not too hard with the turbo off, there are 2 screws at the bottom of the heater core box, one has the brake line support.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum