63 Jetfire coming to Mecum Indy 2020

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts 63 Jetfire coming to Mecum Indy 2020

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Looks like a nice 63 Jetfire coming to Indy. He tells me it is original paint and all original. I can see from the pictures that the radiator has been re-cored, the exhaust was replaced and the fluid tank decal replaced but those are minor things. Obviously a few little details have been touched up on the car but looks to be a really nice car. With it being at Mecum I would bet it either does not sell or ends up in a collection.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-414238/1963-oldsmobile-jetfire-turbo-coupe/

oaklyss
    Participant

Interesting, under hood is re-painted black. Heater and everything has been painted over, cowl tag is painted and hood springs are painted over. Turbo repainted silver.
    Just a few small things have been changed:
    Battery cables wrong, yes exhaust is very wrong.
    Blue TRF, should be white, so not original juice.
    Wrong dip stick (hard to find an original one), check valve painted black, wrong master cylinder, safety wire on turbo has been cut, wrong bolts on radiator support, missing passenger side fender well wire hold downs. jack sticker in trunk in wrong place. Air cleaner repainted incorrectly and has reproduction new stickers.
    Seat belts not assembly line original, replaced radiator cap, hood supports and bolts have been painted over, hood insulation looks a little new.
    Hard to say if they are claiming it is original paint-never repainted-I would take a paint gauge to the exterior paint, and also check if paint is Lacquer. Looks a little too shiny, and no chips or scratches? The inside trunk lid paint is too shiny and hinge bolts painted over. Needs a very close inspection.
    Besides those minor things, a very nice example and the under dash area is awesome. Exterior trim is incredible. Interior is very good but has fading on the chrome dash bezel.
    Should do $35k, if its is original paint, it could do more. Its the incorrect claims of originality that hurt its value.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The under hood black I am not sure about. The back hood hinge bolts are correct color but the front on both sides are black. As far as the springs, Both of my cars have painted springs and are original. My trunk lid mounting bolts are painted body color also on both cars. Not sure if there was a difference for 63? The 63 I got out of Iowa was original black under hood paint and the front bolts and cowl tag were not painted like you are saying. I plan to go and look the car over really good. I thought there was going to be a 62 (Brice’s old car) there this year but maybe he is taking it to another auction?

There was a service bulletin for the 63 f-85 front fenders to add sealer to the seam of the inner fender and the fender because water was entering the engine compartment through this seam. I doubt that is why the front bolts are black though.

oaklyss
    Participant

If you google you will find it for sale last year on Classic cars.com. with lots of photos and a different description of the paint. Car has been mostly repainted. the photos show trunk has been repainted, wrong 1962 trunk mat with missing cardboard side panels.
    There is also a video of this car for sale at Hershey last fall. It shows the under hood area before being repainted black over everything. I tried to post links but did not work.
    Underneath the car looks rough, needs more inspection.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Cool. Thanks! I just found them. Here are more numbers for the database Jim

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1295522/1963-oldsmobile-jetstar-i-for-sale-in-canton-ohio-44708

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

Did you see the YouTube video from Hershey last fall? Can you post it? I need to learn how to post links.
    The Classic Car Ad is almost word for word plagiarized from my Ad 3 years ago

oaklyss
    Participant

After researching this car, it seems every flipper this car went through has done some type of work on it to make more money. It shows this car is far enough from original condition to not be able to be called a “survivor or original ” A survivor has all original paint and components. A lot of cars have original interior and that’s all this car has that’s original. Nice car but not a survivor. It is a great candidate for a restoration as the paint and interior are done and just needs driveline, under body, and trunk to be restored. I still say $35K and I’ll bet that’s what it’s been selling close to each time it changed hands. I just us not an “original” car.

jensenracing77
    Participant
    dr-jet
    Participant

Pretty Car!!
    I’d own it proudly!!!

oaklyss
    Participant

This car bid today to $32,000 and did not sell. I think it was right on the money.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum