A Tip; Fan Clutch replacement substitute….

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts A Tip; Fan Clutch replacement substitute….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    63cutlass
    Participant

My AC equipped 63 had the fan clutch fail last month and after a lot of Web searching, I could not find a new replacement fan clutch for a 63 215V8 anywhere. I then found and downloaded the Hayden specification chart for their fan clutches. Hayden makes 220 different fan clutches, and by going to the process of elimination for each of the 220 numbers, I came up with one number that will work. Hayden part #2615 is a very close match and at $36.99 at the local O’Reillys parts store, it was worth trying. The 2615 is about a 1/2 inches thicker thus bringing it closer to the radiator, but there is still barely enough room to squeeze the fan belt past it and the radiator. Also, there are 6 very thin fins (as the picture shows) that face forward on the clutch, I removed those. As far as I can tell, they don’t serve any purpose and removing them is needed for radiator clearance. It’s a tight fit and had I removed the radiator it would have been a piece of cake, but it is possible to install the new clutch leaving the radiator in place. So far, it’s working perfectly, hopefully this tip will save somebody a lot of time if their clutch fails…..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum