ball joints

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

So the shop I took my 62 to said the ball joints needed to be replaced but never told me is they were press in or bolt in….Anyone ?

jensenracing77
    Participant

As far as I know it is neither one. I believe they are all threaded in. This is something I have needed to look into. I picked up an NOS set of ball joints but not sure I got the correct ones. Hopefully someone here has some experience with this and reply with good information.

I believe they look more like the one in this picture

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Ball joints are either press-in or thread-in. Go to RareParts.com for pictures of both types. Commonly available at a variety of locations. In a plug for Rare Parts, they make their own premium parts in Stockton CA, have very good quality, and are very responsive to problems or needs. They will custom mfg as well.

BruceM
    Participant

The upper ball joints are threaded in. The lower ball joints are threaded in originally from the factory, but the GM replacement lower ball joints are press in. You just press them in through the threads in the opening. I have seen some replacement lower ball joints that are threaded in, but not too many. It’s not a difficult job if you have a hydraulic press.

captiannapalm
    Participant

I don’t see any option to purchase.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I could be wrong but I thought some cars had press in and others thread in? Anyway, just checking Rare Parts they have upper and lower thread in and upper press in.

If you are talking about an option to purchase at Rare Parts web site it is there but requires several clicks to get there. Give them a call and they will walk you through it and to the part description with pictures. Amazon also sells Rare Parts.

You can find ball joints at various suppliers, some good and other not so much I imagine.

captiannapalm
    Participant

either I am on the wrong site, or all they sell is jeep

captiannapalm
    Participant

never mind I found it…pricey

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Significant savings if you can somehow buy as a shop. Also check Amazon, they are a re-seller at less than retail noted on Rare Parts site.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum