Change oil pan in situ?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Change oil pan in situ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I have a weeping pan gasket. Has anyone removed the pan with eng/trans in the car?

Looks like it may come out if i remove the center link and raise the eng a little?

Thanks.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The chassis service manual shows how to do it. Should be able to.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Didn’t think to look for that in there. Thanks, ill take a look.

oaklyss
    Participant

I’ve done it. Disconnect transmission and pull it back. Disconnect exhaust, motor mounts etc. Raise engine and disconnect oil pan. It won’t come off until you reach in and unbolt oil pickup. Then it will come off. You have to reverse procedure to put back together. Pain in the ass. I would pull motor it’s quicker.

joe_padavano
    Participant

So basically, doing this in the car means you have to pretty much everything necessary to pull the engine, but then you want to be laying under the car with oil dripping in your face to change the pan gasket.

Just pull the motor. It will be just a much work, and you’ll do a much better job of installing the new gasket. Life would really suck if you went through all this trouble to do it in the car then didn’t really fix it. Just sayin’

Of course, pulling the motor is a great way to MIGHTASWELL yourself into a complete engine rebuild. With the pan off you MIGHTASWELL check the main beairngs. You MIGHTASWELL replace the rear main seal. You MIGHTASWELL replace the oil pump….

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks everyone. Yeah work involved to do it in car was more involved than i had hoped.

Normally, yes leads to other work on eng but this is a new engine so its a “simple” job of doing the gasket.
    Pisses me off it leaks, especially cause i had a shop build the engine. They’ll happily replace it if i bring the eng back!

Talk is pulling eng, i assume you all mean dropping the front susp with eng/trans right?

joe_padavano
    Participant

“Talk is pulling eng, i assume you all mean dropping the front susp with eng/trans right?”

Not really. There isn’t room to separate the engine from the trans in the car, but pulling engine and trans together isn’t that difficult.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks Joe. Just looked in on forum and see you replied. Based on the info noted here, once this leak gets to me and moves to the front of projects list I’ll pull the eng/trans to fix it.

That’s the wagon you bought up here in Santa Cruz Mtns at Luke’s isn’t it?

Layne

joe_padavano
    Participant

The green wagon is the one I got from Overton, NV. The yellow wagon is the one I got from CA.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Oh yeah, i remember the hood exchange back to the jetfire. Is that one back on the road?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum