Changing out generator for an alternator

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Changing out generator for an alternator

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    911pilot
    Participant

Thinking about swapping out my gen for an alternator. Will be adding a “hidden high wattage sound system”. Does any one have any suggestions. Found a guy in Oregan who will convert your existing generator using the original generator casing and building an alternator on the inside……no pulley change, no bracket changes. From the outside the generator appears original, but on the inside it is a full 60 amp alternator.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Sounds nice. What’s the cost? A std alternator conversion is cheap but you do need to change the bracket. Powermaster makes an alternator that looks and fits like a stock generator but they go for $400+.

joe_padavano
    Participant

I simply used an alternator bracket from a 1963 215. The bracket bolted in place of the generator brackets on my 62. It will accept the standard Delco external regulator alternator, or a 12SI family internal regulator alternator, or a CS130 (with the correct case). I currently have the CS130 on my 62 and it works great. I swapped the pulley from the generator to the CS130 so I would have no belt issues. Get the CS130 from a 1989-1990 Olds Custom Cruiser with 307 motor, which is 105 amps. Do NOT get a “one wire’ alternator.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Joe,
    Does the 63 have a two piece bracket like the 62 gen brackets and if so do you need both pieces of the 63 to convert to an alternator?

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=12090]Joe,
    Does the 63 have a two piece bracket like the 62 gen brackets and if so do you need both pieces of the 63 to convert to an alternator?

[/quote]

No, it’s a one-piece bracket that replaces all the generator bracketry. It bolted right up to my motor.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Good to hear. Going with my orig generator for now but I would be interested in picking one up for future possibilities.

Does anyone have a 63 alternator bracket they would like to part with?

Thanks

joe_padavano
    Participant

Well, apparently I lied. The 1963 bracket does have a strut, which is apparently missing on mine. There’s one on ebay right now for stupid money.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

WOW! That is crazy money. Thanks for the news Joe. Think I’ll just keep an eye out, not in a hurry.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Hi Joe
    I have located a bracket and they say there is a different bracket for AC vs. non-AC cars. Can’t seem to get a good format on the picture they sent so I can attach it but it shows a somewhat different bracket that is boxier than the ebay bracket with no second strut. The bracket is formed with a large arm reaching up to the exhaust manifold to bolt up in, I believe, the same location as the generator rear bracket.
    Is that like yours and or does that sound right?

I’ll continue to try and get the pic in a format I can attach.

Thanks

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Think this has it sideways.

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum