Chevy 350/350 swap

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rosecityOlds
    Participant

I want to put a small block in my 63. I know that I must get my drive shaft fabricated. What other fabrication must be done? What do I do about a transmission support crossmember? Any and all information is greatly appreciated as I am trying to get all my ducks in a row first. Additionally in the future my 4bbl 215 motor and automatic transmission will be for sale. Thanks guys!

young_olds
    Participant

i dont think anyone here has done a sbc swap, we like the 215 and sbc bolt right in a nova. youll need to cut the trans hump to fit the th350 and either make a crossmember, you may be able to relocate yours. mounting the engine is all up to you

rosecityOlds
    Participant

I like the 215 as well. As I also love how the transmission is geared and functions. I want a motor transmission set-up that isn’t so expensive for me to service and repair, so I can use my car more as a daily driver.

young_olds
    Participant

if you have a good bearings, and a good running motor that you take care of it would only need oil changes and tune ups just like any other engine. I dont like the automatics that came in these but if it was a manual, or you would swap to manual, i think that would be very livable as a daily. i daily drove a 62 and only thing i didnt like was the auto tranny.

rosecityOlds
    Participant

I am sticking with an automatic. My transmission is having problems shifting into 2nd & from what I gather, the problem lies in the governor. If i can’t get it fixed (anyone please chime in with your two cents on this) then I may throw a 350 transmission behind the 215, or a ZF4hp22 trans from a Rover/etc.

young_olds
    Participant

if your having shifting problems you probably need to adjust your t.v., the rod connected to the carb that goes to the trans. it has to be in the right spot to get it to shift right, i went through this on mine. I just started adjusting it a few turns and driving enough for it to shift then repeat until got it right.

joe_padavano
    Participant

The “other fabrication” that must be done for the booooring SBC swap is pretty much everything. Also be aware that you’ll be adding a couple of hundred pounds directly over the front wheels. Yeah, it’s been done, but don’t kid yourself that by the time you custom fabricate new mounts, a larger radiator, new exhaust, new trans tunnel, new driveshaft, etc, etc, that it will be any less expensive.

Frankly, the 215 with E-brock carb in my 62 is the most reliable car I own – it starts reliably and works perfectly despite the fact that I don’t drive it regularly. If you want a larger engine, get a 4.6 liter Rover. It is externally identical to the 215 (including the oddball bellhousing bolt pattern) and bolts into a 61-63 Y-body.

rosecityOlds
    Participant

Good news guys. My shop told me that my transmission had a stroke & the problem has most likely been fixed. I look forward to getting my girl back on the block with the new shoes I got her wrapped in 5.20’s. More pictures to come…

Attachments:
    rosecityOlds
    Participant

Thanks young_olds, the shop told me that the tv had to be adjusted as well. I took her on a drive to ensure that the gears are working right before they button her up. I am very happy that I got to keep her oem!

young_olds
    Participant

glad you got her running good. i like the wheels, almost bought a set at one time. didnt want another set of 13’s though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum