Chirping noise after rebuild

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Chirping noise after rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    brooksauto
    Participant

I am ready to pull my hair out. Any help would be appreciated. 1962 Olds F-85 Cutlass Convertable. 215cid 4bbl All Aluminum V-8. Chirping noise at idle. Sounds like metal rubbing against metal. Pulled motor tore down and could not find anything obvious or wrong. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

young_olds
    Participant

did you pull the rod and main caps and inspect the bearings? i trcrmtly had a 350 olds start making that noise out of nowhere, pulled the engine down and z rod bearing was worn, spun and the crank was toast

brooksauto
    Participant

We pulled the motor and checked the mains and rod bearings. All within tolerance and no marks on them. We looked at the lifters. No marks on them. We are getting oil to the rockers. 30psi oil pressure. Timing is right on the money @5 BTDC and 38 Swing. Took the belt off and still chirping. Removed the fuel pump and still chirping.

brooksauto
    Participant

I noticed this morning that when you first start up COLD. We have 30 psi oil pressure and no noise. After it starts warming up it starts chirping. Driver’s side is most prevelant. Something is expanding?

young_olds
    Participant

what kin of oil psi do you have when the noise starts?

brooksauto
    Participant

Oil pressure is still 30psi when noise starts.

doctorg
    Participant

You might want to check if the bellhousing splash shield is rubbing the flywheel. I had this happen to me once. Also check your exhaust connections. Hope you find it. Doc

brooksauto
    Participant

Shield currently off of vehicle. Haven’t checked exhaust yet. Noise is definitely coming from driver’s side motor area. Valve train is area I hear it from. I put some Lucas Zinc additive in and going to take on a drive. This problem is driving me nuts. Noise is not acceptable after full rebuild.

young_olds
    Participant

would it be possible to take a video so we can hear it?

brooksauto
    Participant

I will try to get a video tomorrow when I get it out for the break-in drive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum