Conversion to disc brakes

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Conversion to disc brakes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    marcel
    Participant

Having installed BCCP (Ben’s) disc brakes setup on the front of my 1962 Olds F85 Cutlass.
    Need help with choosing the correct fit wheels & tires ? Maybe GW steel wheels 15X7 or 15X6 , not sure of the offset_____.
    My original (4 lug)13 in. wheel/tires the overall diameter was 24 inches. (P175/80R13)
    (I did a comparison with the 15 in. wheels on my current car and the diameter was the same as 185/65R15)

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

What master cylinder did it come with?

I did the 4 lug conversion and am running 15x 6 with a 35/8” backspace. 205 65 15H tire. Wheel Vintique Smoothies. Steel. Lots of alloy wheels available in 5 lug.

Car is dropped with 1” lower springs

Attachments:
    joe_padavano
    Participant

I can tell you from personal experience that 215/60-15s on wheels with zero offset fit just fine on stock brakes. I have no idea if or how much that conversion pushes the wheel mounting surfaces outboard.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Uses the stock spindle for the 4 lug so no change.

joe_padavano
    Participant

The spindle has nothing to do with where the wheel mounting surface on the new rotors ends up relative to where it was with the stock drums. That’s entirely a function of the design of the rotor.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Oops, meant to say stock spindle and hubs.
    Yep, I would imagine the thickness of the rotor hat would influence the wheel placement further to spindle and hub.

joe_padavano
    Participant

How do you drill the stock hubs for five lugs? There are only four thickened areas on the backside for the studs.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

BCCP doesn’t. He uses a different hub.

I dont know this for sure but i believe i remember the Tempest hub in front is a five lug? There is another one or two as well I believe. Couldn’t confirm which ones. Then you go for new axles in the rear I believe. BCCP can supply or Moser will make them. Not cheap.

Also, there are two hub styles, one that has the high and low areas and one that is all high(thick) areas. I guess that could be filled and redrilled. I was told by a machine ahop they do not recommend filling and drilling out the rear axle. I was told the process weakens the flange, better to get new axles which are easily available.

marcel
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, I have already installed the 5 lug spindle front & new 5 lug rear axle. I though I was going with 15X6 OE Style/ 5×4 3/4 bolt / 3.75″ backspace & American Classic 165R15, but the (rim) 15x 6 with a 3 5/8” backspace Wheel Vintique Smoothies looks like it might be an option. Will the Smoothies clear the disc brake?

joe_padavano
    Participant

So back to my original point. If the spindle and hub are changed, there’s no way to know what offset works without measuring the specific car with the specific disc brake conversion installed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum