Conversion to disc brakes

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Conversion to disc brakes

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Spindle is not changed. The hub fits with same mounting flange location as original 4 lug hub. My understanding from talking with BCPP is that it is located the same as the original hub. There are also a user or two of his 5 lug conversion the the 6163skylark site. Everyone seems very satisfied. Ben is also available to talk with and is happy to discuss his conversion. It can take a bit to get hold of him. He does a 5 lug and also a 4 lug conversion. His website stinks.

I would go to a wider tire unless you are after a strictly show look. Also, 165 is a bit skinny for 6” wide rims. Lots of decent tires in 15” if you go to a 205 65 15. They also look good, handle well, and fit. Stiffer steering of you have manual steering. Go for something with an H speed rating for a better handling tire. Stiffer sidewalls and stickier compound. If you’re not concerned with that then don’t be concerned with an uprated speed rating.

You have a ton of wheels available in 15” 5 lug. I put the Wheel Vintiques 60s Camaro Rallye wheels on my 64 El Camino. You can put Moons on them or the Rallye trim ring and hub. Very period. Or go to lots and lots of alloys from different sources. Some very pricey, some very reasonable. OEM wheels may have the benefit of using some type of Olds hubcap..

With the 15” wheels, stock height springs, and BCCP kit you would be good with an aftermarket 15” wheel. Smoothies will fit. I use 1/4” spacers with my 4 lug wheels because the caliper fits VERY tight to the hub hat due to the small rotor. Some conversions hang the pad off the outer edge of the rotor. I worked to move it in for full pad contact and had that result. With the 5 lug i believe it uses a larger rotor with the caliper further from center so presents no wheel mounting face interference.

joe_padavano
    Participant

As I said previously, I know from firsthand experience that 215/60-15s fit just fine on wheels with zero offset with the stock wheel mounting surface locations.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Yep, can be.
    Zero offset on what size wheels Joe?
    Does zero offset mean a 3” backspace on a 6” wheel?
    Im using 15×6 with 3.5/8” backspace and a little bigger tire at 205 65 15.

jonemartin
    Participant

Everyone wants to know about the Conversion to disc brakes, from this post they can get the best way.

We have experience of years in Kitchen Remodeling Services in San Antonio TX and working on different kitchen remodeling projects.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum