Cowl or fire wall tag info

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Cowl or fire wall tag info

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    JimNoel
    Participant

I have made a chart of cowl tag info that I have collected for Jetfires. I do have all the production data for 62’s but not 63’s. Interesting to see the start of production and number of cars produced per week or time period. Appears like they didn’t start making “cars for sale” until about the first of April, 1962. Announced the new model on April 19 and didn’t have very many made yet! Have yet to see a 1962 Kansas City Jetfire cowl tag?
    I have data on some 35 cowl tags and only see “2M” in ACC. on 7, 1963 cowl tags, none on 1962’s? Looked at the options on these 7 with 2M and can’t see anything in common for an accessory! Sorry Don, still a mystery.

Attachments:
    macf85
    Participant

Is it possible that your ’63 had factory air conditioning but all the components were removed by the previous owner? I thought you said the ’63 had automatic transmission that was converted to 4-speed manual. Could they possibly have made other modifications you aren’t aware of? All of the A/C components were removed from my car several years ago and you can’t tell that it ever had it except for a couple of extra holes for the A/C lines and some screw holes where the refrigerant lines ran on the inner fenders. The interior controls, ductwork and outlets were hung under the dashboard something like the old aftermarket units did.

jensenracing77
    Participant

That is very possible that someone removed it. From what I understand, the car had more history apart than it did together.

macf85
    Participant

I missed Jim’s post above. Now I’m really curious what “2M” means and what is common between the cars that have it. All the other codes begin with a letter, not a number.

jensenracing77
    Participant

That is really cool Jim! I am going to try to get a picture of every cowl tag I possibly can when I am around these cars. I know of some junkers that would be nice to add to the list if I can get the info off of them.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Here is one to add to the list Jim. It is built the same week as our automatic car. 05E and is number 898. The tag was almost to far got to read. It is 29 cars newer than our car. Ours was shipped to NY and this car was new in PA.

This car is to far gone to ever restore

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

This is the cowl tag of a 4 speed 63 Jetfire. Anyone else have the 2-4? Does the 4 mean 4 speed? This is an original owner car and they tell me it was new as a 4 speed and not converted. What plant is BK?

Attachments:
    oaklyss
    Participant

BK is Kansas City, Jim can add it to the list

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    BK, Kansas City is on the list. Anyway, here is the latest update I have for cowl tags.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just a side note on your list Jim, My junk one is the production 98 car, not the 898. The 898 is my good automatic car.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum