distributor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    captiannapalm
    Participant

what is recomended to upgrade to an hei dizzy

jensenracing77
    Participant

I just use the points but if you don’t want them then just go with the Pertronix points replacement setup in the existing distributor. I would also go with the replacement coil that is recommended for the Pertronix system.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I had my stock dist rebuilt and recurved for my rebuilt eng by Advance Distributor in Minnesota. Quality parts and advice. Running timed/ported vacuum with 17 degrees advance at idle, great response and performance.

captiannapalm
    Participant

I have used pertronix in my comet. ran like garbage.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Lectric Limited offers another version of points replacement. I am going to try that setup the next time I do a conversion. Do you just not want to deal with the points or looking for a performance upgrade? For the most part the HEI does not improve performance.

captiannapalm
    Participant

from what i understand is switching over to elec. ignition is better startup

joe_padavano
    Participant

The spark plugs neither know nor care if the spark is triggered by a mechanical switch (points) or an electronic one. You’ll feel no difference between properly maintained points and electronic. The reason why people claim that the electronic “runs better” is because usually they are replacing a worn original distributor with old, pitted points and a crappy original coil. Yeah, no wonder the electronic runs better.

I put a conversion kit in my 62 only because I’m lazy. I didn’t expect nor did I get any performance improvement. The 215 is a small block Buick. Any SBB electronic distributor bolts in.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Very happy with start up and running with my rebuilt points dist. It is also now tailored to the engine which runs cooler and has better performance because of it. When Pertronix fails you stop, when points go south your car runs crappy and you get home. More than one owner that runs an electronic conversion carries the old points dist in the trunk. The amount of miles my car will see means I will likely never need a new set of points. Talk to Jeff at Advance dist for an experts explanation.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum