Driveshaft Center Bearing support collar

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Driveshaft Center Bearing support collar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I have a 62 Cutlass Convertible and am looking for a new Driveshaft bearing support-the rubber/metal piece that holds the center bearing inside the sheet metal bracket. Ordered one from Old Buick Parts/Cars,Inc but they are out with no idea when they will get them in. Anyone know another vendor?

Thanks

BruceM
    Participant

Your best bet is to check eBay. They pop up there from time to time. I’ve been fortunate on my current project to be able to re-use the bearing retainer as it was in pretty good shape. Just cleaned it up. Good luck.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

oldbuickparts.com has their reproduction of the center support back in stock. Just bought that and the bearing for $93 delivered to West Coast.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

OOPs, tried the bearing in the Center Support Collar and it is a loose fit. It should be a press in fit. You can actually move the bearing slightly within the collar. Called Old Buick Parts and they agreed the ones in stock are the same, they will now investigate why. Bought both the bearing and the collar from them thinking that would ensure they would fit together properly.

Any other source anyone knows of?

Not a good day at the driveshaft shop.

kid442
    Participant

I have a few spare drive shafts email me.

arthurjones
    Participant

They are available on Ebay
    Ebay Number172224376432

Art J.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

There is a problem with that part from Oldbuickparts, looked at ebay and that’s the seller. I think they are the only reproducer of the part and sell to several other parts suppliers to our market. See my post above. They sell the stock bearing with an OD of 2.440″. Their repro carrier has an ID of 2.450-2.460″ per the one from them I have and per the measurements from other vendors who sell the same part from oldbuickparts aka Cars inc. This is supposed to be a press fit so the carrier should be smaller than the bearing by .003″-.005″. This bearing simply falls out of the carrier, not good. I talked to them about it and they have a lot of them and did not express any desire to make any changes, they suggested gluing it in. I don’t know what everyone is doing to make those parts right but I am looking at a bushing with a slightly smaller OD bearing to make it a press in fit. Some driveline shops don’s care and will glue it or wrap it in allum foil to “make it work”, the shop I work with prefers a different solution.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Everybody has the same center support from Oldbuickparts/carsinc. No undersize bearings available to use with a bushing. Went to my machinist friend and he used brass shim material and pressed it. Too bad the parts not made right but hopefully that will be an acceptable solution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum