Exhaust

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rocknrollhelge
    Participant

HI everybody,

I want to spend my olds a new exhaust. I want to use 2,5″ pipes. 2 from front to end, also with 2 mufflers.
    Has anyone build this? Any pictures of the undercarriage?

macf85
    Participant

Helge,
    You would have to have get a custom exhaust system fabricated by a competent shop in your area. The performance aftermarket in the USA does not make systems for your car. You will probably have ground clearance problems with a true dual exhaust system. Another alternative for you is to purchase an original equipment reproduction exhaust system. Here is a link to a source in the USA:
    http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?cPath=61_49_84
    They make stainless steel as well as aluminized mild steel versions. I used the Cutlass single exhaust pipe from the engine back to the muffler. Then, I used a Jetfire muffler with dual rear outlets. This is called a “single in – dual out” system. It has a nice sound without being annoyingly loud. Good luck with your car.

63cutlass
    Participant

2 1/2″ inch pipes would be overkill on the little 215 V8. I used a local muffler shop that made a 1.75″ true dual system that exits right behind the rear wheels with chrome tips. Walker #17910 mufflers are only $19.97 from Summit. They are oval shaped reverse flow and are only 3.25 inches thick, 7.75 wide and 1.75″ in and out. These mufflers will still allow for enough ground clearance.

joe_padavano
    Participant

Coming into this thread late, but as noted, 2.5″ pipes are a waste of money for a 215. I wanted to maintain ground clearance on my 62 wagon. A single 2.5″ pipe in the stock location has MORE cross sectional area than two 1.75″ pipes. It should have even less flow resistance since there’s less surface area in a single pipe of the same cross sectional area vs. twin pipes. so there’s less boundary layer drag in the pipe.

I used a pre-bent Walker cat-back pipe for a fourth-gen Camaro. I had to make some minor mods to the part over the rear axle and I had to build a front section from mandrel bends to mate to the stock Y-pipe. Not ideal but it works. I used a Magnaflow single inlet/dual outlet muffler (also for a Camaro) mounted in the stock location, with a pair of S-bend pipes exiting behind the rear wheels.

Attachments:
    63cutlass
    Participant

Sorry for the late reply, I just got my lift installed in the new garage (wished I had that lift when I put my T5 in), taking under carriage pictures is now a breeze, so I took a few shots of my 63 with duals. The sound is great with the Walker mufflers, a nice quiet rumble at idle but the sound is not at all annoying or intrusive in the cabin at highway cruising. I always say; the little 215 likes to sound bigger then it really is. As can be seen it’s a nice compact installation

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Hi 63,

I have a 62 convert that will be needing exhaust as soon as I get the engine back. Your set up looks like what I want to do. I am working to get a TH200 in it and am using the stock rear trans mt crossmember with some minor mods which lowers it a little. Looks like you are going under that mount. Is your mount in the stock position and how’s the ground clearance at that point? If you have a couple of pics of that location it would be great.

Thanks

63cutlass
    Participant

I went to a T5 from an 84 Camaro and had to move the cross-member back a bit, the frame has an extra set of holes that were in the right position for the T5 trans mount. Using a torpedo level across the intake manifold carb base and lifting the back of the trans until the carb pad was level, determined the height of the cross-member mount. If I recall the engine/trans is tilted 6 degrees down when the carb base is level. The mount had to be made tilted because the tailshaft pad is 16 degrees tilted. Ground clearance is not a problem.

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Thanks for the info and the new pic, looks good. I have another post where I am looking for the center driveshaft bearing carrier collar. Did you find a new one or use the old?

63cutlass
    Participant

I used a new carrier bearing assembly, one where the carrier housing, rubber insulator and bearing are tied together unlike the stock unit where the rubber just slides right out of the housing. I’m keeping the old setup but Desert Valley Auto Parts (623-780-8024) in Phoenix will probably have what you need in their yard. See my latest driveline post where I put up a pic of their partial inventory of 61-63 Cutlass and F85s. Between the Buick Specials and F85s they have at least 2 dozen or so. They ship out a lot of parts every day.

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum