Five lug conversion and 4speed shifter ball

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Five lug conversion and 4speed shifter ball

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oldz442
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone have converted over to a 5 lug setup, making wheel choice greater.
    Also I talked with jim noel who informed me that the jetfire 4 speed shifter ball was similar to a 56-62 corvette, was wondering if the original ball was ivory or off white like I have found with the vettes? Any help is greatlly app! Thanks fellow olds fans. Sean McCarty 63 Jetfire

BruceM
    Participant

The shifter balls I’ve seen are white. You can get quality reproduction ones from Corvette parts suppliers. They do not have a shift pattern on the ball if the car has a console. Hope this helps.

JimNoel
    Participant
    oldz442
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, I ordered a shifter ball for my wifes jetfire today. If anyone can shed some light on the five lug conversion that would be great. Oldz442

kid442
    Participant

63 Olds Cutlass 4-lug to 5-lug change.

OK! I am not an expert in this change over. Anyone who can help just email me and I will correct the information.

The info I have is you need late model Chevy Corvair front hubs and drums. I think this is 67/68/69 Corvair. They used 5-lug bolt pattern. 5 on 4.5” the same as all the 64 thru 72 Olds Cutlass. They are exact fit to the existing front spindles. Just remove the existing hub and replace the with the Corvair set. Now the rear you need to remove the axles and have them welded and redrilled to 5-hole pattern. I have no info on rear drums.

Another good source of information is the Buick Yahoo group. They are very active and have a lot of tips. This is there web address. (http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=skylark616263)

Good luck,
    Ken
    732-870-6964
    kid442w30@yahoo.com

oldz442
    Participant

Thanks again for the info kid442! I’ve also heard that early nova spindles will bolt on to give you a disc brake setup, but I cant comfirm this. It looks like the oldsjetfire member with the bronze car has a five lug setup with disc brakes. If anyone knows this member I would love to talk.

kid442
    Participant

Sean,
    The owner of the car is “yourmomnm 1962 1a”. Send him a privite message.
    Ken

yourmomnm
    Participant

I changed the front and rear end on my 62 Cutlass…It was back in 2006 and I had someone else to the work with the math involved w/a rack and pinion conversion etc..

I think the front end hubs are from a 60’s Camaro and the spindles had to be modified for disc brakes…

The rear end is just a modified Monte Carlo…

I spent $$ on mine and did more of a modification than most people want to do..

Hope that helps,

Jim

jetfireguy

You can contact any member by noting their “User Name”, going to “Membership”, and sending them an email message.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum