gas tank repair

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    perkinsra
    Participant

Nov 16 2009, 3:57 AM
    Jetfireguy
    gas tank repair

I need some advice on gas tank repairs. It seems some people recommend baking the lining they add inside the tanks, while others just recoat the inside without heat. There are even repair kits you can pour in the tank yourself. I have also heard of linings which came loose over time. Anybody know the correct solution, and why?

————————————————————–
    Jan 9 2010, 5:38 PM
    62OF85conv
    Re: gas tank repair

JFG, While I cant recommend what way is best about the inner coatngs I will say that I finally got an answer back from a firm in Pa that specializes in ‘recovering’ old gas tanks no matter what their condition – even swiss cheese the guy said. Unfortunately he is remiss about answering his emails and the response was too late for me (in Jan 08 Id waited four months). I finally had had a good used tank shipped to me in Balt Md from Roundup MT. I will try and look up the company again for you and post on the forum if you still need a solution.

————————————————————–
    Jan 10 2010, 3:33 PM
    62OF85conv
    Re: gas tank repair

This is the firm in Pa. Moyers Fuel Tank Renu. http://www.gas-tank.com/

MOYER FUEL TANK RENU
    2011Western Avenue
    Greensburg, PA 15601
    1-800-328-9550
    mailto:moyer@westol.com
    Joseph H Moyer

Hotwire
    Participant

I have used sealer like Eastwood sells with a lot of success about 10 years ago. Now that a lot of gasoline has that Ethanolcrap :angry: in it you need to make sure the sealer is resistant to ethanol.

jetfireguy

Thanks, guys, for the posts. I just recently had a friend with a lot of experience recommend the Eastwood product. Says the critical part is getting as much of the old rust out as possible, using “pea-gravel” and the cleaner provided by Eastwood. Then use their sealant. No need to bake it. Now I need to find some pea gravel!

jensenracing77
    Participant

i know it is an old thread, i am slowly reading through them all.

what works better than pea gravel is a log chain. this way, after you are done. it is much easier to get the chain out than the pea gravel.

jetfireguy

thanks on the log chain idea. probably would need one with small links. i still havent started on it, but need to soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum