Help! Is this a casting flaw?

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Help! Is this a casting flaw?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rosecityOlds
    Participant

Took my water pump off my spare motor and saw hole and craters in the casting. Was this from faulty production? Has any one else seen this? Did something else go wrong to cause this?

Attachments:
    62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Welcome to electrolysis. Pretty common in these engines. Make sure your antifreeze is current. Might want to change it if its 2+ years, Is there no impeller left at all!!? Having an overheating problem?

rosecityOlds
    Participant

It was a motor that sat for ten years, but is supposed to have 30k on the rebuild.. Do you think the whole motor is eaten alive on the inside? Should I not assume it’s OK to run? I’m feeling a little nervous..

jensenracing77
    Participant

No way to know for sure but it is likely ok. My 4 speed Jetfire was not ran since 1974 and it eat alot of stuff up but everything will be ok other than the intake manifold. It eat all the way through from the water port to an intake port.

jensenracing77
    Participant

Did you clean it or is this picture as you found it? If it is as you found it I would say this was done before the rebuild. As clean as it looks I don’t think it is from sitting the past 10 years. Were the water passages empty while it sit the past 10 years? I would bet you are ok and this is from long ago.

rosecityOlds
    Participant

There was coolant that came out of it when I tool the water pump off, and I took this picture shortly after doing so. It sounds like it would of needed more time than that to of eroded that much? I will look at my intake to see how that’s doin. Worst case scenario, I have to swap that too.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

I agree, that picture looks so clean, the active electrolysis doesn’t look that bad, and the impeller vanes are gone. Stupid question- Is it somehow backwards? How do the front cover inlets that mate up with the waterpump look? Those areas on the pump look good.

rosecityOlds
    Participant

The areas are good. If I can’t easily get timing cover set, I am going to let it be.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

So what’s the deal on the impeller?

Does the timing cover interface on the block look good too? Had to weld mine.

rosecityOlds
    Participant

The picture is of the timing cover. The impeller on the water pump looked ok. I’ll take another look at it t’night after work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum