In need of new gas tank on 63 olds

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts In need of new gas tank on 63 olds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    oldz442
    Participant

So hot in St Louis today that my gas tank exploded! If anyone has a tank for a 63 f-85 in good shape im in great need. I was suppost to take it to a firework show this weekend, but had my own fireworks instead. Thanks oldz442

jetfireguy

i need one also. about ready to have mine relined, but dont know if it needs to be baked after relining, or even if anyone does that. anyone had any experience?

jetfireguy

I still need some input on the best way to repair or replace a gas tank on a ’63 Jetfire. Surely someone has had some experience with it. How about your thoughts?

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi,
    Sounds like you two still need gas tank help. My ’62 gas tank leaked when it was filled. Could always smell gas until the tank was down to 1/2 full. Never saw any leaking gas on ground. During 2006 rebuild of this Jetfire, I took tank out and could not find leak myself. Took to a nation wide commercial service, Gas Tank Renu USA gastankrenu.com/
    They estimated $150 for the repair and seal coating job. They had the tank 1 week and the final bill came to $208.15 with a new sender gasket and fuel tube pick-up sock (filter). I was not real happy with the price, but they did the job! No leaks or odor of gas anytime for the past 5 years!
    Not quite sure just what “blown-up” means. If there is still a “tank” to work with, maybe the could fix? They do list 3 locations in Illinois. Don’t see any in Kansas though.
    Jim

IMG_0961

IMG_0962

IMG_0964

Attachments:
    oldz442
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Jim. My tank had some rust holes and the pressure from the heat blew out these soft spots. I currently fiberglased the holes for repair, but would like to find a tank in good shape. One of our members called me and said he had one in California, he also said the Jetfire ones are different than an f-85 which I didn’t know. Would love to have his tank but was out of my price range. Any help from other members would be great! Thanks Sean oldz442.

JimNoel
    Participant

Hi Sean,
    I have attached the page from the 1963 Oldsmobile Master Parts book. All F-85 fuel tanks are the same part number. The difference is in the “bolt on” pick-up and fuel gauge sender unit. You should be able to use ANY 1963 F-85 fuel tank and use your Jetfire fuel pick-up, fuel return and gauge unit. This unit uses a fuel return (second steel line shown in my last post) coming out of the top of the tank. The fuel return system was used on all Jetfire’s and California F-85 cars, to meet the low fuel emission requirements of the day. The fuel pick-up, return and fuel gauge sender units are interchangeable with all tanks. When you swap this part, make a new gasket and seal it well. The final difference in the Jetfire fuel system is the fuel pick-up sock or filter that fits on the pick-up tube in the bottom of the tank, it is longer/larger (see attached). I am not real sure just how critical this is, they can be hard to find.
    Jim

fuel tank001t

fuel tank sock001t

Attachments:
    JimNoel
    Participant

Sorry about the fuzzy pic’s. Here they are again.
    Jim
    fuel tank001t_2011-12-10

fuel tank sock001t_2011-12-10

Attachments:
    jetfireguy

Thanks a bunch, Jim. I have seen the national ads but wanted some moral support. The compatibility info is really helpful also.

bcroejuno-com
    Participant

RENU has been saving my tanks. More like $500, but it must be done.
    I like to pull & check tanks about every 15 years; replace those hoses
    & check fuel lines. Supports can fail too, imagine your tank dragging
    behind the car. Bruce Roe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum