XTR Prototype
(courtesy of General Motors)

Member: JimNoel

Member: JimNoel
Custom 1962 Jetfire Wagon

Home Blog Blog Installed the Red Turbo

Installed the Red Turbo

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Installed the Red Turbo

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jensenracing77 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jensenracing77
    Participant

I finely installed the red turbo. Jim rebuilt the red turbo over a year ago but I just now installed it. I also installed the new radiator hoses and rebuilt all the wheel cylinders. The front rubber brake lines were not safe so I also replaced them. I pulled the rear end case out and had to shim the spider gears .090 because they has eat into the case. I put 140 gear oil in it also to help cushion all the shims I had to install.
    I spent time tuning on it and it is pretty good but I still have a miss at casual cruising speed. Not sure what that is yet. My first thought is the points have worn a little? I will have to spent more time on it. I also have the transmission adjusted so that it shifts very good but is shifting at a little to high of an RPM. I will have to back off the TV just a little. I need to add a tachometer to be sure what it is doing before I get to involved with the TV adjustment.
    I want to get this car running as perfect as I can and then I will go back to the 4 speed car.

Attachments:

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Looks really nice. Thanks for the good photos, we’ll use them when we start reassembly in a month or so, might even ask for some more!

BruceM
    Participant

That looks great!

jensenracing77
    Participant

This car is running the best it ever has since I owned it. I even have the Hydromatic transmission working great. I did not know these would shift hard enough to bark the tire in second gear. I don’t like staying on it that hard during a shift because of the reputation of these transmissions but I have a couple times. Now I want to drive it every chance I get. I think we are going to take it to Indianapolis for a cruise in soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recently Active

Profile picture of jensenracing77
Profile picture of john-sage
Profile picture of TheOtherDave
Profile picture of Jim Noel
Profile picture of scott
Profile picture of joe_padavano
Profile picture of 62 Cutlass Convert
Profile picture of Greg Oakley
Profile picture of matt zischkau
Profile picture of Ken Dennison
Profile picture of Felix j garcia