Jetfire #4, parts car this time

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Jetfire #4, parts car this time

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jensenracing77
    Participant

Just got home from picking this car up in Chattanooga Tn. I am going to use this car as parts. We will start restoring the 62 4 speed car this year and it don’t really need much of anything from this car but I just hate restoring a car without having a parts car handy if something comes up or if I need a reference on how something was together. I will sell off some of the parts I know for sure I will not need but for the most part I will be keeping most of it till the other car is complete. This car was converted to a 4 bbl by the previous owner but it came with nearly all the turbo stuff. The only thing I see missing is the passenger side exhaust manifold. Luckily he had the other hood spear.

They told me the trunk had not been opened in 20 years so I hope to find the other exhaust manifold in there.

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

I got the trunk open and found more parts. The two parts that stick out most are that I found two of the 63 Jetfire emblems in there. Other than that it is mostly just used trim parts. I also found that the engine is not locked up and it is still the 62 turbo engine. If I get time later today I will see if it will start. The turbo setup that came with the car is not frozen up either. Will not know how good it is till it is apart but from what I can see, the impellers are very nice. They almost look bran new and clean. Not sure what the story is with that. The turbo was painted black.

I will get pictures of all the numbers so if anyone wants to add it to there list of documents. I need to start my own list of documents for number and date comparisons.

jensenracing77
    Participant

VIN 621M31845
    Engine Head S161183T
    Block HHI290686
    Build date on cowl tag 04B. When did they start building these cars? I know they were sold as a late 62 car but when did production start?

Attachments:
    jensenracing77
    Participant

The boost gauge is a little crusty. I would bet it don’t work. I have not tested it yet. After getting better light in the exhaust side of the turbo I can see that it is not as new looking inside there as I thought. Just an average used turbo. It does spin and looks like it may have a good foot flange gasket. It feels soft when I poke it with my fingernail.

The hood spears have some pitting but are good enough to be rechromed. One mounting stud is broken but the others all look nice and solid

Attachments:
    ncuevas79
    Participant

How much do you want for the turbo? Get at me ncuevas7991@yahoo.com

oaklyss
    Participant

Eric, that’s a very early Jetfire. I believe April was the first month of production. Whats the body number on the tag, your photo doesn’t show it all?
    Red Jetfire, white roof, what are the odds

oaklyss
    Participant

I just checked the home page that says April 20 was when they were introduced, So if your car is 04B, that’s April, 2nd week for production. Looks like you have one of the first ones so you will have to restore it and not use it for parts! Curious to see how low the body number is.

jensenracing77
    Participant

The body is to far gone to restore on this one. I will get a better picture of the cowl tag. I think the transmission has been changed out. I looked and did not see the OX stamped in the tag. Not sure if the engine is original but I would bet it is. The turbo was changed because it is a 63. Has a 2bbl on the engine now.

I did hook up a battery and the engine turns over but no spark. I will clean the points and do a little testing this weekend. Should not take much at all to get this thing fired up.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

Hi,

Sent you a PM on parts along with my email.

Thanks Layne

jensenracing77
    Participant

Some good news on this car. I am trying to finish some older small projects before I start digging into new ones and got this engine started up today. I only tested two cylinders but the compression was 125 psi. I will do more testing on it before I pull it out but so far so good. I assumed it was a bad engine when I bought the car. I am sure it should still be rebuilt before used in a nice car but still, it looks to be a really good Jetfire engine core.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum