Jetfire block vs f85/cutlass block

Home Page Forums Discussion Topics – Ask the Experts Jetfire block vs f85/cutlass block

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    JimNoel
    Participant

My parts book and experience does not substantiate that Jetfire block/engines used different connecting rods or head bolts. One Jetfire head bolt was/is different and has a screw hole on the top to accommodate the bracket to hold the oil dipstick tube to the block. It would be interesting if someone can show data to be otherwise?

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=13333]”Just looking for a stronger block without going rover block”[/quote]

The later Rover blocks with cross bolted mains and improved casting technology are stronger.

62cutlassconvert
    Participant

We have a couple of blocks apart right now, one each. I’ll be at the shop either this weekend or early next week and check it out. I’ll let you know.

young_olds
    Participant

I know they are stronger, that’s why I said Without going with rover block. I’m just weird, it has to be an olds block

joe_padavano
    Participant

[quote quote=13338]”I know they are stronger, that’s why I said Without going with rover block. I’m just weird, it has to be an olds block”[/quote]

Understand, but I got over that. I’m building a 4.6 Rover block with 300 Buick crank (gets me about 298 cu in) and adapting the Olds heads so it looks “correct”. Hollow pushrods fix the oiling differences to the valvetrain. Looking at using Harlan Sharp Buick V6 roller rockers. Also trying to score a set of the Merlin F-85 heads from England. Big bucks but improved flow and they have the right valve cover rail shape to look like an Olds 215 instead of a Buick or Rover.

young_olds
    Participant

I’m not agains the rover block, other then my one particular car, actually planing on getting a cross bolted main rover block from the junkyard to use my crower stroker crank in for a future build, should be just over 300 cubes.

captiannapalm
    Participant

Also the Olds block is different than the Buick 215. Olds has larger wedge and 6 bolt heads were as the Buick only has 5.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Articles

Turbo System Safety Checks

Turbo System Safety Checks

The safety components of the factory designed turbo system have some interactive groups of safety "c...(read article)

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

Engine Front Drive Pulleys

The standard drive pulley has one groove. It drives the water pump/fan and alternator or generator. ...(read article)

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

1961-1963 F85 Car and Option Prices

Attached to this article is PDF file containing an extensive list of car and option pricing for 1961...(read article)

OldsJetfire Forum